Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:22 PM   #1

Hello to everyone, this is my first post in this site, eventhough I have been visiting quite often in the past few weeks reading up on the S700 and thanks to all the good reviews I found in here, I am now the proud owner of a Fuji S700 :-D (once it gets here that is).

I have also been reading up on slave flashes, since I intend to use the S700 on both indoor and outdoor photos (50/50 more or less).

After searching quite a few sites, I have come to the conclusion that there are 4 brands of flashes available within my price range (no more than US$ 80.00) :

1- BOWER
2- VIVITAR
3- PHOENIX
4-SUNPAK

The problem is that everytime I star *****hing on a model I find that there are problems , for example :

1- The Vivitar DF120 doesnt sync with some cameras.
2- The Phoenix D92-BZS doest not sync when you have the red eye option on.
3- The Sunpak O18ST also has problems synchronizing plus I have al read that it doesn't have enough power. There is another option from Sunpak, the PF20XD, but there isn't a lot of information about this unit on line.
4- The other brand is BOWER, but I could not find reviews on any of their flashes.

There is another option that I didn't mention before, that's the CAMETA JH-28A flash, this is no more than a combo flash unit from a cam store called Cameta so i'm not too sure about the quality.

I would like to be sure that the flash unit I order will work with my S700 so any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Madmax63

MadMax63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:27 PM   #2

If your looking for a hotshoe flash the Sunpack 383 is the ticket. I use it on my Fuji S-9100. Just carry an extra set of bateries for it.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:40 AM   #3

Thank you for your response Photo5, but unfortunately the Fuji S700 doesn't have a hotshoe.

I have seen some reviews on the Sunpak 383 and just about everyone speaks highly of this flash unit; unfortunately, unless I can find a bracket that can convert a regular flash into a Slave flash, I can't use it on the S700.

Madmax63
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:16 AM   #4

MadMax63 wrote:
Quote:
... unless I can find a bracket that can convert a regular flash into a Slave flash,...
You may want the "Sunpak Digital Camera Flash Adapter Bracket with Built-in Slave"

http://www.adorama.com/SUDCFA.html

some older discussions that may be usefull:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...sunpak+bracket

and some one did gave us a pdf sheet with some slave comparison :

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

Click on the second link, there is a pdf document

Hope that those info help you

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:05 AM   #5

MadMax63 wrote: You may want the "Sunpak Digital Camera Flash Adapter Bracket with Built-in Slave"

Thank you so much for your recomendation KC and for the links, really helped a lot.

After reading up on the Sunpak Digital Adapter I have decided to order one, I also started looking at all my old camara gear (thought my wife had gotten rid of it, since it's been ages since I have touched the stuff)..found my 2 old cams. one is a cannon AE1 and the other is a very very old Mamiya MSX 500 and last but not least, I found a Sunpak auto 221 flash unit that I am going to try to use with the slave Bracket. I know this stuff is old, but I used to love that little flash...had about 3 other sunpak flashes but, over time, I gave them away to friends and family that where taking up the hobby.

The only concern that I have, and it seems that's what everyone else is also saying, is the construction or the craftmanship of the bracket. It seems that it's made of very cheap materials and in some cases, where you have a heavy flash installed, it tends to wobble. But then again, I think I saw this bracket for less than US$ 20.00 bucks...so you can't expect much....going to order later on today.

Again, thanks a lot for your help KC and also thanks Photo5 for answering my cry for help. You guys are great !!!

By the way, earlier this morning I picked up my S700...so gues what i'm gonna be doing the rest of the day???? :|

Hope u all have a great weekend !!!!

Madmax63