Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 27, 2007, 5:02 AM   #1

Hi everybody I'd like to see if anyone has any experience with the following inexpensive flashes for my canon 40d the bower sfd35c, sunpak 383 ,or the vivitar 285 also the sunpak pz40x Thanks to all, Alan
ultranitwit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:07 AM   #2

I meant flash not lens on my subject heading(sorry)
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Administrator

I fixed it for you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:23 AM   #4

Thank you, Jiim-Alan
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:21 AM   #5
Administrator

Alan:

Two of the flash models you're looking at are non-dedicated (the Sunpak 383 Super and Vivitar 285HV).

So, they would require that you use manual exposure on the camera, setting the camera and flash to match for aperture and ISO speed.

The other two models are dedicated. IOW, they are going to be aware of your camera settings.

The little Sunpak PZ40x has a reputation for very slow flash recycle times (it only holds 2 AA batteries). So, I'd keep that in mind with it.

That Bower looks interesting, and I see B&H has them for only $69.95 now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Flash_for.html

It appears to be a fully dedicated flash with the ability to work with Canon DSLR models. But, I did find a couple of reports that appear to be QC related (bad out of the box). So, I'd probably stick with a vendor like B&H that has a good return policy if you go that route, just in case they had some early production problems or a bad batch.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:59 PM   #6

Thanks Jim ,I agree that the sunpak PZ40x might not be the best choice and I heard the same about the bowers QC also,but at B+H it sounds like a great deal . I may go with the sunpak 383 even though its not dedicated it gets some great reviews. thank so much for your much appreciated input,Alan
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:37 AM   #7

Having invested in an excellent camera like the 40D, I'd suggest an investment in a good flash as well to get the most out of your equipment.

As the very least, I'd suggest the Canon speedlite 430EX that is designed to match the 40D. A bit more bucks than the models you quoted but the 430EX is matched to the EOS range.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:05 AM   #8

I have written several flash tutorials on this forum. I realize that Opteka does not have a good reputation, but I purchased the Opteka EF-600 to use with my Canon XTi and 20D and have had no problems at all with it. It uses all the Canon TTL features and it is just as good as my Canon EX-430 flash, while costing only half the price of the EX-430 flash.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 1:53 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I have written several flash tutorials on this forum. I realize that Opteka does not have a good reputation, but I purchased the Opteka EF-600 to use with my Canon XTi and 20D and have had no problems at all with it. It uses all the Canon TTL features and it is just as good as my Canon EX-430 flash, while costing only half the price of the EX-430 flash.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look that one up as I'm not thrilled the prices for Canon brand equipment.

Nice to see you back from your cruise.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:31 PM   #10

Calicajun-

We are only home through Monday 01/07, and then we head out again for Fort Lauderdale to Sydney, Australia for 34 days.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote