Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 4, 2008, 2:51 PM   #1

I am looking for an external flash for my Sony A100. I would like it to tilt and swivel. Any suggestions? Can I only get the Sony brand? (like with many Sony products)

Thanks!
kermie1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:14 PM   #2
Administrator

In a dedicated Sony model with tilt and swivel, I'd look at the Sony HVL-56AM. The Minolta 5600HS (D) will also work (it's the same flash).

The Metz 54MZ 4 is another popular choice. You'll need a newer SCA3302 foot to go with it (and vendors like B&H usually sell them in kits including the foot). Some of the older SCA3302 (M3 and up) can be upgraded to the newest version, too. I'd probably go Metz if I were looking at models in that price range, since this MZ series Metz model also gives you an Auto range that uses a built in sensor in the flash to eliminate the camera's metering preflash.

Sigma also makes some compatible flashes. For example, the Sigma EF 500DG Super. But, exposure results are mixed, depending on when it the flash was made.

If you don't mind using manual exposure, setting the camera and flash to match for ISO speed and aperture, you can also use a non dedicated flash via an adapter to give your A100 an ISO standard foot. Here's an example of one from a reputable Hong Kong based vendor:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...275&page=1

I use a Sunpak 333 Auto (similar to Sunpak 383 Super, except the 333 Auto also has a manual zoom head) and smaller Sunpak 222 Auto via an FS-1100 equivalent adapter with my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony Alpha 700.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 3:33 PM   #3

I am using the Sunpak 383 with my A100, mostly just because of the "lazy eye" problem that you can get with the dedicated flashes. The other reason was that when you get the adapter from Gadget Infinity, you also get a PC Sync socket so that I can move the 383 off camera or use studio setups. $120 can you get you quite a bit of functionality this way.
smitbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:51 PM   #4
Administrator

smitbret wrote:
Quote:
I am using the Sunpak 383 with my A100, mostly just because of the "lazy eye" problem that you can get with the dedicated flashes.
BTW, I've heard this problem has been eliminated with the new Sony models from some A700 users. Apparently, the timing for the preflashes has been improved.

Quote:
The other reason was that when you get the adapter from Gadget Infinity, you also get a PC Sync socket so that I can move the 383 off camera or use studio setups. $120 can you get you quite a bit of functionality this way.
Yep, works great. I can even trigger my Sunpak 333 Auto and Sunpak 222 Auto at the same time (one in the hotshoe, one via a PC Sync Cord).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:00 PM   #5

Yeah, the lazy eye seems limited to the A100 (but affectsall A100s), but it is very much there. My ex-wife had a friend who ALWAYS looked like she was blinking with the TTL flashes. Started shooting her with the 383..... problem solved, although proper exposure is a little more challenging... yet more predictable.
smitbret is offline   Reply With Quote