Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:15 PM   #1

In TTL-mode, metering does not appear to know that the flash is on, since a neutral exposure (using AEL) corresponds to a shutter speed that would give proper exposure with no flash. Theflash will fire when the picture is taken, but the sync appears to be off since the resultant picture will appear like there was no flash.
aswlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:18 PM   #2
Administrator

What camera? What you're seeing is probably normal using the AEL button.

I haven't tried to see what it's behavior is on the new A700 with flash. But, if you press the AEL button on the KM DSLR models while using a flash, it meters for ambient and uses the flash for fill. So, you'll get slower shutter speeds that way, with the camera letting more ambient light into the image. Don't use the AEL button if that's not the behavior you want.

You can set the camera to where you need to press and hold the AEL button, or you can set it to a toggle (press once to meter for ambient and lock the exposure, toggle again to unlock the exposure and behave normally).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:44 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. I currently have the A100 (considering the A700, but that's a different story). I'm not really sure how to use the TTL mode, since I can't seem to get much fill at all with the F56AM flash. I usually end up resorting to putting the flash in manual mode since that seems to be the only way to get enough light.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:54 PM   #4
Administrator

Have you checked to make sure you don't have Flash Compensation dialed back?

If you turn the function dial on top of the camera to the flash setting and press the button in the middle of the dial, you'll find a Flash Compensation feature in the menu (setttable to +- 2EV).

You can also set one of the custom functions that controls whether Exposure Compensation is for Ambient Only or Ambient + Flash.

How about your metering mode? Are you sure you don't have it set to something liek Spot Metering and metering on a lighter subject (which would tend to cause underexposure)?

Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:22 PM   #5

I've exhausted all options and ended up buying a Sigma flash, which works properly with my A100. Still can't seem to get the F56 to work in TTL. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:48 AM   #6
Administrator

Are your shutter speeds within the Sync Speed limitations of the camera (1/180 second with Stablization off, 1/125 second with stablization on)?

If not, you'll need to put the flash in High Speed Sync (HSS) mode.