Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:55 AM   #1

I am a newbie to photography and have purchased a D40 and an SB 600 flash. I would like to use the flash on auto - at least to start with. Reading the user manual for the SB600 on P.32, I don't understand if my D40 is I-TTL or D -TTL. What is CSL and is the D40 compatable with it? Are there any easy to understand "How to's" for using the I am a newbie to photography and have purchased a D40 and an SB 600 flash. I would like to use the flash on auto - at least to start with. Reading the user manual for the SB600 on P.32, I don't understand if my D40 is I-TTL or D -TTL. What is CSL and is the D40 compatable with it? Are there any easy to understand "How to's" for using the D40 with the SB 600 on Auto. Thanks in advance. fruny. :-)
fruny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Administrator

CLS is an Acronym for Nikon's Creative Lighting System. The Nikon system has the ability to do things like use off camera flashes via Wireless to balance the lighting.

For example, you can get the SU-800 Commander unit and control your SB-600 when it's off camera (or get an SB-800 and do the same thing using more than one flash).

As for the differences in TTL modes, I wouldn't worry about it using Auto. The flash metering mode the camera is using with Auto is going to depend on the lens. Nikon's D lenses provide distance information to the camera that it can incorporate to improve flash metering.

Here's an article that goes into some of the neat stuff you can do with external flashes wirelessly. Just note that all features in one camera are not necessarily available in another (this article assumes you're using a D200).

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/d200_and_cls/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote