Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 7, 2008, 1:57 AM   #1

Hi All,

I am expected to cover a seminar, using my diminutive Nikon-D40 ( please do not suggest other DSLR camera, I do not have it). The xpected number of people is about 80 to 100. Will SB-600 be equal to the task or is required to buy SB-800?

Will I be able to use SB-600/800 with my Pnasonic-FZ20 if required?

Thanks in Advance.:|
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 10:43 AM   #2

If it's a big room, or if you're going to be bouncing or using a diffuser, the 800 is the way to go. You can always reduce output if necessary. Better to have too much power, than not enough. The 600 is a good flash (I've got 2 of them), but if I can only take one flash, it's going to be the SB800.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 2:23 PM   #3
Administrator

In addition to more power if you need it, the SB-800 also has both tilt and swivel (the SB-600 is tilt only). So, you may find the SB-800 to be a more versatile flash, especially if not using a rotating type flash bracket (which is a good idea to get the flash further away from the lens).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 8:38 PM   #4

What sort of things are you going to be shooting? If it is only speakers at the podium, an old fashioned, high-powered flash set on manual might be the way to go. You should be able to get in early to do some test shots and get the exposure/power settings right. Use a friend or a broom as a model.

Lots of power is needed to be able to bounce/diffuse so you avoid the harsh shadows and glare of a direct flash.

Do you really need a flash for most of the shots? Check out the lighting at the registraion desk (likely the best lit area) - you just might be able to crank up the ISO enougnh to get usable shots. What is useable will depend in part on what they are going to be used for. If only for the web or small images, you might be able to get away without flash - except for podium shots.

Whatever you decide, try real hard to get into the seminar location ahead of time with a friend as a model and spend some time experimenting. That will probably do more to improve your images than any choice of equipment.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 4:39 AM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
In addition to more power if you need it, the SB-800 also has both tilt and swivel (the SB-600 is tilt only). So, you may find the SB-800 to be a more versatile flash, especially if not using a rotating type flash bracket (which is a good idea to get the flash further away from the lens).

Bounce Capability

Flash head tilts up to 90 degree
Flash head rotates horizontally 180 degree to the left or 90 degree to the right

Not entirely the case for the SB600.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 7:23 AM   #6
Administrator

Thanks - my bad.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 3:45 AM   #7

Thanks guys. can somebody tell me if SB600 can be used with Panasonic FZ-20?
wise is offline   Reply With Quote