Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 27, 2008, 8:18 PM   #1

First of all, Hi! My name is Linda. This is my first post. I just bought the S5 and am loving it more everyday. The shutter lag time is wonderful. But... I have a problem with needing a flash inside and it taking SO long to recycle. I take alot of pictures of my 2 yr. old grandson and he is hard to keep up with! I would like to use the continuous shot feature with flash.

Would an external flash speed up my shot to shot time?

Thanks
applemac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2008, 10:13 PM   #2

Generally an external flash will speed up the time that you can take shots, but that in part depends on how much the flash discharges for each frame you take. I would try bumping the ISO of the camera so that the flash doesnt need as much flash to get the proper exposure. Make sure its on straight flash and not slow, or red eye reduction. Generally onboard flashes are the slowest recyclers, followed by external flashes being a bit faster, finally by the plug in units having the shortest recycle time(but highest cost).

I dont know Canon flash units, so I cant tell you what the recycle time for their external units are.

I'm sure others will chime in and give you more details about your Canon specific situation

HTH

John
DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 8:37 AM   #3

applemac1 wrote:
Quote:
...I would like to use the continuous shot feature with flash.

Would an external flash speed up my shot to shot time?

Are you comfortable with manual flash/camera setting? You can use a flash at reduced power , or at "winder mode" like some manufacturer calls, it's for that purpose (repetivive flash shots).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 2:11 AM   #4

As shown by K CAN the hammerhead is the way to go. A hammerhead even on reduced power can give a lot of adequate flash`s. For instance my Sunpak and Canon 5d will give 20+ shots on one charge.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:07 PM   #5

What is a 'hammerhead'? I got the Canon 430EX flash and 'WOW' I can take a picture or two every second! I love it!
applemac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:06 AM   #6

Hi Linda,
I don't know enought techicel detail about diverse flashes, however seeing what you are shooting I would not necessarily recomend an external flash - defenitely NOT a hammerhead which is the biggest, bulkiest, also the fastest most powerful and the most expensive flash. If you must buy a flash then I would recommend the dedicated Canon High power flash HF-DC1.

Try to set your camera on single shot and take only the best moments. Keeping the finger on the trigger will exhaust you batteries and no flash can keep up with it.
Cheers Finzie
finzie1 is offline   Reply With Quote