Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:39 AM   #1

Hi, I have the sigma ring flash and am trying to trigger the flash manually through a hotshoe adapter with PC sync cable. This system works fine for my Canon 580EX, but when I connect the sigma it doesn't fire, any suggestions please?
muzz105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:56 AM   #2

The first thing that comes to mind is that, if you are using an SLR, the shutter speed has to be at or below flash sync speed in order to trigger the flash. If that is not the situation, you might want to post in the forum for your camera for more specific help.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 1:25 AM   #3

Hi, I am not actually connecting the flashes directly to a camera. I have a seperate trigger to fire the flashes through pc sync cables and hotshoe adapters. I was under the impression that all or most flashes were manually fired just by shorting the connections. This works for my Canon 580EX, but doesn't for the Sigma EM 140DG, which is only a couple of years old. Am I wrong with my assumption, can I get the flash to fire somehow on this principle?

Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2008, 4:28 PM   #4

muzz105 wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I am not actually connecting the flashes directly to a camera.
OK, but an SLR has a maximum sync speed at which it will fire a flash (I'm guessing this is what you are using, though you haven't mentioned the camera model). Above that speed it won't make the connection at the hotshoe or PC sync socket, if your camera has one.

Have you tried connecting the PC cord to the flash and shorting the connections on the end of the cord, and does that fire the flash?

brian
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:11 PM   #5

Hi, I am using a Canon 300D but at this stage the flashes aren't connected to the camera.

The end setup will have multiple flashes connected via hotshoe adapters on pc sync cables. Now if I connect the flashes onto the cables and short the plug, only the Canon 580EX fires. Why does the Sigma not fire using this shorting method?

Cheers
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:04 AM   #6

Does the flash have a test button, and does this work?

I'm having a bit of difficulty visualizing your setup. Are you daisy chaining the flashes or are you trying them separately with the adapter(s)? If more than one hotshoe adapter, do they both work with one flash and not the other?

brian
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:47 AM   #7

Thanks for your perserverance. I havve got a daisy chain sort of setup, and the 580 works on any hotshoe adapter in the setup. The Sigma however will not fire at all on any adapter, I am wondering if it can be triggered this way by shorting? The flash test fires and works fine on the camera, but I want to be able to use in other setup.

Thanks again

Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:27 AM   #8

Sorry for taking so long to get back. I have been having some difficulties accessing the forums.

I'm stumped. If the flash works on-camera, and the hotshoe adapters work with the other flash, it seems that, for some reason it isn't compatible with the hotshoe adapter. Are you sure all the contacts on the adapter are lining up with the ones on the flash? I have a flash which I had to modifiy the foot of, as it wouldn't go all the way in to the hotshoe, and was intermittent. Once I trimmed a bit off the front, it went farther onto the shoe, and the contacts stayed in contact.

brian
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:06 AM   #9
NHL

muzz105 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your perserverance. I havve got a daisy chain sort of setup, and the 580 works on any hotshoe adapter in the setup. The Sigma however will not fire at all on any adapter, I am wondering if it can be triggered this way by shorting? The flash test fires and works fine on the camera, but I want to be able to use in other setup.
I dont get it...
Why do you have to use a PC sync set-up at all?
Aren't you overdoing things (and the Sigma may need the other controlling pins which may not be present on the adapter)?

The whole idea of the Canon's wireless is such that you don't need to "daisy chain" and have the freedom of getting rid of all the cables: The Sigma EM 140DG works fine on the camera hot-shoe (like you described) so let it stays there - Set the 580EX on Slave and let the Sigma EM 140DG be the Master and voila!

No wire needed
-> You can use as many slaves as you want (up to 3 groups) and with different ratios all wirelessly... (see page 28 )
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/manuals/F30EO.pdf
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:49 AM   #10

Hi, I am using a manual trigger mechanism for timing purposes for high-speed photography, and the wireless setup offered by the Canon system is too slow for my purposes.

I guess the Sigma cannot be fired from a hotshoe adapter?!

Thanks all