Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:38 PM   #1

I am in the market for a powerful slave flash to use with a series of digicams that I use as demo camerasin my digital camera clases. The Metz 28 and the DigiSlave 3000 were recommened to me. Thanks in advance for your experiences with either of these Slave Flashes.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:47 PM   #2

I was hoping there might be an answer to this thread.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 11, 2008, 6:50 AM   #3
NHL

I don't have any experience with either of theses devices, but obviously they fit two different user types:
o The Metz is more compact and folks with smaller P/S might like this unit more because of its size; However it's not as powerful (also use triple AAA hence won't put out as many pulses) nor flexible as the Digislave
o The Digislave is more powerful and its head can be aimed at different direction but it'll need a camera with a hot-shoe otherwise a bracket is required which make it even more cumbersome to carry along... This device will definitely put out more light (and last longer on AA) for the money than the Metz, but then its size and weight are the negatives
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:44 AM   #4

Hi there,
I have got the Metz 18CS-2 since a year or so. It is very versatile to use. It has a little foldaway bracket on the one side so you can attach it to the tripod thread of your camera. It is also great to either handhold it or use it on a little tripod.It can be used on automatic if you don't want to bother with any settings and it certainly boosts the build in Camera flash. I use it with my Panasonic FZ30 as well as with my old Canon Powershot A65.
The spec are Guide Nr at ISO/100: 22, in feet: 72.
With full power it gives about 100 flashes but of in auto you have tons of them. It weighs 140 grams and is 75.5mm x 83mm x 32.5 mm small. It comes complete with a telephoto attachment boosting the power to 28.
I hope that helps somewhat.
Cheers Finzie1
finzie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 9:00 AM   #5

Hi Finzie1,

I have a couple of question about the Metz 28 CS-2 that I'm hoping you may be able to answer since you own one:
  • What's it like for off-camera shooting?[/*]
  • Am I correct in saying it doesn't have a shoe or tripod thread?[/*]
  • In which case, how do you attach it to a tripod?[/*]
I'll be using it with a Canon IXUS 850 (Powershot SD-800)

Thanks
molusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:11 PM   #6

I have and use the Digi Slave 3000 and it works well in slave mode and also with my FZ cameras.

It will fire off though if a camera uses a burst from its onboard flash which is a bit of a downer for me. It works well for use on background flash which I use it for that purpose when using my Nikon CLS. Tilts but does not rotate. Manual zoom head.

Can get them at bugeyedigital.com
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:58 PM   #7

Hi Folks-

We just got home after a 2.5 month teaching contract in Europe. When we arrived home the Metz 28 and the Digislave 3000 were there waiting for me. While overseas I used a Sony Slave Flash that I picked up at a swap meet very in expensively.

The results with the Sony Slave were very impressive. Here is a photo sample using the Sony Slave with a Panasonic FZ-28 at 30 feet. Give me a couple of days and I will also post some sample photos using the Metz 28 and the Digislave.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:54 PM   #8

As promised, here is a photo take with the Metz 28. I used a Fuji S-6000, and its built-in flash triggered the Metz 28. The distance for this photo was 21 feet.

So the Metz 28 seems to work very nicely.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:55 PM   #9

As promised, here is a photo taken with the same Fuji S-6000 camera at the same distance using the DigiSlave 3000 Slave Flash.

The DigiSlave 3000 has the advantage that it tilts but it does not swivel.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:33 AM   #10

Here is another slave flash option. I was able to pickup a Sony slave flash at a garage sale for $(US) 2.00. It needed a new battery, but it works fine. Like the Metz 28, this Sony slave flash can also be adjusted for power (light) output, which is a nice feature. That allows you to use it up close to balance out your light or at distances up to 35 to 40 feet.

Here is what it looks like.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images