Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:30 PM   #1

Hi.

I want to apologize if my english is not good. It's my second language.

I bought and used 420ex and everything was correct until a few days ago... everytime I tried to take a picture the picture comes out completely black. this flash is connected to a canon rebel xti.

I tried to use P, AV, TV, etc modes and the problem persists. I also used this flash as a slave and same thing happens. It seems that the flash only fires a full power preflash.

To check if the camera was the problem I connected my mr14 ex flash and the picture was ok.

I left the flash with no batteries for one day and tried again with no luck. I also restored the original characteristic in my camera, but the problem persists.

I used google but I couldnt find a solution for this problem, I hope you guys can help me.

so:
* the flash fires
* in all the modes (with different iso, shutter speed and f) the pictures appear completely black
* other flash (mr 14ex) work perfectly
* the problem persists if I use the flash as slave or as master
* cleaned the hot shoe and the metallic contacts in the flash.
* restore camera original settings

Please guys help me...
camilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:46 PM   #2

I am using a Sigma 530 DG Super with the Rebel XT with out issue in the same modes and briefly borrowed from best buy for a couple of days a Canon 580 II. They worked very simialrly.... The 420 should be too.

You mention the camera modes, but what mode is the flash in???
The flash too has Auto/ETLII, Manual, etc. In ETLII mode it should sync in Auto @ least 1/60 and you should be able to adjust the speed from there from the camera.

In manual mode you would set everything.

You mention Master and Slave but that is for multiple flashes which you did not indicate you were using?
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 5:09 PM   #3

thanks for your reply:

anthlover wrote:
Quote:
I am using a Sigma 530 DG Super with the Rebel XT with out issue in the same modes and briefly borrowed from best buy for a couple of days a Canon 580 II. They worked very simialrly.... The 420 should be too.

You mention the camera modes, but what mode is the flash in???
The flash too has Auto/ETLII, Manual, etc. In ETLII mode it should sync in Auto @ least 1/60 and you should be able to adjust the speed from there from the camera.
420ex only works in auto mode.

Quote:
You mention Master and Slave but that is for multiple flashes which you did not indicate you were using?
I used a mr14 ex flash as master.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:18 PM   #4

Hmm. Just to clarify the concerns. Is it that you can not get the 430ex to work in manual or automatic mode as the only flash.

Or is the concern related to using two flashes together. The 430ex is not (in my understanding) able to be used as the master flash in a two flash set up.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:12 AM   #5

HI, the flash emits light, but it seems that only a preflash at fullpower, therefore the picture comes out totally black.
it seems that the flash is not in sync with the camera.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 3:37 PM   #6

I understand that it fires and seems out of sync and the picture it black....

You indicate you have tried everything.....

Everything on the Camera Side or Flash Side?? I know you have tried the flash as Master and Slave (I was pretty sure that the 420 only supported slave).

Can we simplify and use the 420 just with the Camera, one flash. Use it in 420's ETL mode/Auto as well as 420's Manual mode. Try the Camera both in P, AV, etc. And Also try setting the sync on the Camera manually to the Flash speed and Aperture you want.

Lastly can you tell us what Aperture and Shutter you are using?