Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:06 AM   #1

Hi

I'm a novice so apologies when it sounds like i don't know what i'm talking about!!

I'm taking some pictures of bands at a gig next week. I understand i'll need a flash gun, the only problem being i'm a bit low on cash at mo so wondered if this one would be any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...;condition=all

it's very cheap so concerned it will be a waste of money.

Also will i need anything else? Can anyone give any tips please?

Thanks in advance!
candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:14 AM   #2
Administrator

The listing has virtually no info about it (Guide Number, features, etc.). It does say that it will work on cameras that use a single contact for triggering. That implies you'd need to use manual exposure on the camera, setting the flash and camera to match for ISO speed and aperture. But, I don't even see a sensor on the front of it (so you may have to dial in power for subject distance, too.

I sure wouldn't buy it without seeing more info (and even if it had any auto aperture ranges, I'd skip it anyway since it looks like it's got tilt but no swivel).

What camera do you have?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:19 AM   #3

Hi thanks for your quick reply.

I have a Canon 450d dslr. Have also just seen the following;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunpak-PF30X...JH24C53C8SADS3

candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:58 AM   #4
Administrator

That particular flash has very slow recycle times by most accounts (typical with a flash that uses only 2 AA Batteries). It also does not swivel (tilt only), which is a feature I'd want.

You may want to look at the PZ42X instead (faster recycle times with 4 AA Batteries, higher GN for more range, tilt and swivel).

http://www.sunpak.jp/english/products/pz42x/index.html

But, I don't think any of the Sunpak models support FP mode (a.k.a., High Speed Sync) if you wanted to use one at faster shutter speeds outdoors (which can come in handy if you need to use a wider aperture setting for a shallower DOF outdoors in brighter lighting).

IOW, you'd be limited to the X-Sync speed of the camera with those types of flashes (which is 1/200 second with the XSi/450D). For indoor use only, that should be fine. For outdoor use in brighter light, you may need to stop down your aperture more than desired in some cases to keep your shutter speeds slow enough.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote