Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:50 AM   #1

Anamateur snapper andnew to theforum,so would be very grateful for any comments / suggestions anyone is able to give me!

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ30 and am looking to get an external flash unit. I spoke to my local Leica/Panasonic dealer and he recommended the Metz 48 AF-1. This seems to be reasonable value, especially compared with the Panasonic own brand models. Does anyone have any comments about this flash, in terms of value for money, pros/cons, comparablemodels?

The Metz 58 AF-1 seems to be well regarded on this forum but is quite a bit more expensive - do the extra features merit this?

Thanks in advance for you help! :-)
Rupert1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:22 AM   #2
NHL

Rupert1982 wrote:
Quote:
The Metz 58 AF-1 seems to be well regarded on this forum but is quite a bit more expensive - do the extra features merit this?
I'm afraid only you can decide this...

-> It depends mostly on your application and if you are going to be using the extra features:
1. The 58AF-1's Guide Number is greater which will help in bouncing the light - i.e. the more powerful unit may work in location with higher ceiling (or darker shade) than lesser GN units
2. The 58AF-1 is also a dual heads allowing you more control with the lighting - i.e. one head can be used for direct front fill while the 2nd head can be bounced illuminating the background for example

Many folks are reluctant to use flash... People don't feel confortable using one flash let alone two so the 58AF-1 tries to address this. On the other hand folks who are already familiar with studio photography (or lighting in general) love this feature, the more strobes the better and the more power the merrier! :lol::-):G

Beside the two previous basic features which are most important, the 58AF-1 has a lot more over the 48AF-1 which you may or may not need:
o Stroboscope mode which can also be used to forecast shadow areas
o Wireless sync with studio strobes
o Flash bracketing (again because of the extra power)
o Audio feedback of OK/under exposure
o High-Speed-Sync
o 2nd-curtain sync
o Master/Slave modes (the 48AF-1 is a slave only) depending on the camera
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:38 AM   #3

Thanks NHL - very helpful!

Any other comments much appreciated.
Rupert1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:20 AM   #4
NHL

Rupert1982 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks NHL - very helpful!
This is quite useful for any flash you might ended up buying: http://www.lumiquest.com/how-light-modifiers-work.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote