Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:20 PM   #1

I have a metz 54 MZ-4i with the SCA 3302 so it works fine with my 7D. I want to try experimenting with wireless flash. Is there a transmitter that I need to send the signal to the flash? I set the camera to wireless flash, tried a bunch of settings on the flash but can't seem to get it to work. Thanks in advance for any ideas...
musicbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2008, 1:51 PM   #2

If it works like most others, there is a sensor on the flash which has to 'see' the flash from the pop-up flash on the camera in order to be triggered. This doesn't have to be directly in line, but will have to be able to read the reflected flash.

In some cases, the pre-flash will trigger the slave if the one used as slave is not fully compatible.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:33 PM   #3

Hello,

I don't have a Metz 54 mz 4i or any Minolta or Sony gear, but I saw this comment on the B&H site . . .

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e.html#reviews

This person said . . .

"Wireless function works great as well. The only glitch is that you have to have a Sony/Minolta ADI flash as the wireless controller, or use the pop up flash as a controller."

Maybe you can set your built-in flash (if possible) to Commander mode.

You'd set this feature in the menu system of your camera.

There may also be some sort of pre-configuration method, such as putting the flash unit on the camera, turn on the flash unit, turning on the camera, switching the camera's commander mode to commander mode and then switching the flash to slave mode. At that moment the flash and camera sync up and then after that you detach the flash unit and the camera will be able to trigger the flash.

I don't know, but thought I at least give you the link that I saw.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:03 PM   #4

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am happy to report that I am now able to use the flash in wireless mode! I wasn't first powering on the flash while attached to the camera before removing it and then following with raising the built in flash.

Much appreciated...
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:54 AM   #5

Hello,

No problem.

What do you think of the Metz 54 MZ 4i?

I've read through the manual trying to figure out whether I'd be able to use it with my Nikon & Pentax. (I read the manual and I'm more confused! <grin>)

Do you use the 2nd reflector & if so, how do you like it?

And does the wireless mode on your system work with the camera's TTL well?

Take care,
Glen

[I'm looking at the Pentax 540FGZ, Nikon SB800 and this flash unit. At this point in time, the menu system on the SB800 scares me. I have to read its manual to see if I'd be able to make heads or tails out of it. And kinda swaying towards just getting the Pentax 540FGZ and whenever I need flash, just use my Pentax. The Metz would be nice, but I'm not sure how much I'd be giving up in convenience & features.]

Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:31 AM   #6

To date I've been using the flash on automatic and it's been fine.

I just started experimenting with the wireless and works fine in auto, manual and TTL.
I've also been playing around with the camera settings and it works whether the camera is set to ADI or TTL.

Haven't used the second reflector as of yet but the manual does explain it's use fairly well.

I agree that the manuals are sometimes confusing so I'm learning by experimenting. This may be a stupid question as I am new to wireless functions but is the pop up flash supposed to fire with the off camera flash?

Thanks...
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:40 AM   #7

Hello,

Again, I don't have Sony/Minolta, but since your built-in flash is being used as the commander / trigger for the external flash, I'm guessing . . .

1) The built-in flash does go off, but more so to determine how much flash exposure is required to get a good exposure, and totell the external flash how much flash exposure it needs to send off, and when to fire.

2) It doesn't contribute to the shot.

Now, on point 2, there may be a way to make the built-in flash contribute to the shot. I'm not sure. I don't think I've got that option on my Nikon D70s, but I would stab a guess that newer cameras might be able to do that. I have no idea.

If you need some light coming from the camera axis, you can always use some sort of bounce I guess.

Or, revert back to non-TTL triggering of the Metz 54 MZ 4i with one of those "light-triggered" SCA bottoms. But that would mean having to fiddle with the built-in flashes compensation or manual over-ride and probably balancing that against the Metz 54 MZ 4i set to manual. <groan> Ok, scratch that. <grin>

But the above would be cheaper than buying another flash unit. <grin>

Take care,
Glen

Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:18 AM   #8

Thanks Glen.... makes sense...