Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 23, 2008, 4:10 AM   #1

Hello,

Has anyone used this flash unit?

If so, how reliable is it & how accurate an exposure does it do with the Nikon platform in i-TTL mode?

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:42 PM   #2

Glen-

I have seen just two user reports on that flash. I am sorry to say that one was very positive and the other rather negative. Can you purchase with a trial provision?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 6:24 PM   #3

Glen-

Earlier you asked about a cheap flash to use on the Panasonic G-1 camera. I believe that the Olympus FL-36 flash would work perfectly on the G-1.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:47 PM   #4

Hello Sarah,

Thanks for the feedback.

The two cameras I have are the Pentax K100D & Nikon D70s.

All my friends have Canons and since I've been on a binge since summer to try to figure out how to take half-decent pictures, I've also entertained the idea of switching platforms. So much so that I've been playing with my Nikon, Pentax and my buddies Canon cameras a lot.

In the end, I'm sticking with these two cameras.

As for the expensive flash, I've got $300 saved up so far, and I'm thinking I'm getting the Pentax AF540FGZ.

Which means my Nikon D70s is going to be flashless (unless you count my old Vivitar 3700 that I've taken the TTL pins out of and use on AUTO mode.)

If my wife ends up liking my Pentax K100D + AF540FGZ, then I am set.

But if she can't use it and likes our Nikon better, I feel bad that I don't have a flash for it.

I started looking at options.

1) Do nothing.
2) Gary Fong Puffer.
3) SB600 (But if I'm willing to spend $300, why not $400? Back to square one . . . <grin>)
4) SB400 - but low guide no. & now swivel.

And then I stumbled across this flash unit.

$150US with a guide no. of 42? (similar to my favourite flash unit the Canon 430EX) with both tilt & swivel and available in Nikon i-TTL & Canon E-TTL flavours & has a manual mode?

For $150US, a guide no. of 42 and i-TTL, I'm going to do some research.

I got to see if there is someone here in Toronto, Canada that carries Sunpak.

Any ideas or suggestions for my situation?

If the Gary Fong Puffer kinda works, I'd be happy with that. If I can also use it on the Pentax, then I'd use it when I didn't feel like wiping out the AF540FGZ. <grin>

Take care,
Glen

Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:17 PM   #5

Glen-

While flash is my favorite lighting medium, I am really not a Gary Fong fan. I know, and can easily demonstrate that I can do just as good as Gary Fong with a good diffusser.

The Gary Fong rig is just too (physically)large based on my experience. There just are times when you do not want/cannot tolerate a big flash rig like the SB-800.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:15 PM   #6

Hello Sarah,

Yes. You don't always want something that big.

Beautiful picture! How did you take your picture? What are some of the details? Please tell!!! <grin>

I'm pretty sure I want the Pentax AF540FGZ to have a powerful TTL flash for my Pentax. No . . . I won't want to use it all the time. But I think I'll play with it enough to justify it. (At least in my mind. <grin>)

What not so expensive, yet better than just built-in flash alone, options would you recommend for when I don't use it?

Take care,
Glen

Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:48 AM   #7

I'm using the exact same flash on a Canon platform. Had it since June. So far, I've had few minor qualms about it.

Let me start with the pros:
1. It does shoot good in TTL-mode. Just remember to stay away from reflective objects in front of the lens or light-colored foreground--the usual TTL downside.
2. The Auto-Zoom mode works like a charm
3. The AF-illuminator functions although its a bit off-target if you use the center AF sensor
4. It's fast recycling assuming you're using 2000maH + NiMh batteries(You're looking to last 200+ shots on a single charge)
5. It's got bounce and tilt capability
6. It works with the Canon E-TTL metering system

CONS:
--my only beef with this unit is that it doesn't work with the slow/2nd curtain function

Abs.Abando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:02 AM   #8

Hello Abs.Abando

Thanks for the great feedback!

Your comment about the AF beam being off-center scares me since I only really use the center AF point. [But not a deal killer.]

As for not have more advanced features, I'd be ok with that. If I want to do stuff with more features, I run back to my Pentax.

Now I'm thinking . . . get my Pentax AS540FGZ & if it really bugs me or my wife that the Nikon doesn't have a bounce flash, I'll get this one to try out.

Thanks again!

Take care,
Glen

Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:51 AM   #9

Glen-

The photo of me was taken handheld by my husband using an Olympus E-420 and a ZD 40-150mm lens. Neither the lens nor the camera are IS equipped. The flash was the Olympus FL-36 with a Stofen diffusser. The flash head was at about the 50 degree position to have both a high percentage of bounce and the diffuser efect.

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 24, 2008, 2:10 PM   #10

Happy Holidays everyone!

Take care,
Glen