Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Dec 26, 2008, 4:51 PM   #1

Hi,sorry to ask this question but I,m a novice and I just dont know?

I,ve a Nikon D80,I need a Flash Gun but as usual hav,nt much cash but I,ve been offered a Hanimex TZ2500 flash gun really cheap,Can I use this with this camara and if so can I just select Auto on the camara and it,ll do whats nessary??

Thanks guys
Haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2008, 7:28 PM   #2

Haggler-

You really want a TTL flash that operates in concert with your D-80. Nikon makes 3 very good flash units: the SB 400 (tilt, but no swivel around) the SB 600 with full tilt and svivel and medium power, the SB-800 with full tilt, swivel, and full power.

Since you are looking for flash operation in the Auto Mode on the camera, it is best to use a Nikon dedicated flash unit. Yes you could use somethin as simple as the DigiSlave 3000,(about $(US) 100.00)and it would work nicely, providing you were able to make the necessary manual adjustments to your D-80.

An external flash unit is a big plus. It allows you to use bounce flash, which gets rid of those hard shadows. It also extends the flash range of your D-80. I have attached a photo sample that shows the attractive light a bounce nflash can provide.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:21 PM   #3

If you don't have a flash with TTL capability, NEVER go Auto on the camera.

1. Set the camera to Manual Exposure mode(this way you control both the Shutter Speed and Aperture settings)
2. Choose a Shutter Speed of about 1/60 or 1/80(this just about the average shutter speed sync for Focal Plane shutter cameras including DSLRs. You can shoot slower if you like and get varying results which you may or may not like.)
3. If the flash you're using has an "AUTO" setting, use it and follow the "flash dial" chart(for older units) Usually, these flash units come with pre-set apertures at given distances. The flash dial should tell you the maximum distance between camera or film plane to subject at a given aperture setting.)

For example: at ISO 400
Flash indicator or dial says: Distance(ft)=6ft, Aperture=f/5.6 so if you're subject is standing about 6ft away from you, you should be using an aperture of about f/5.6 or wider(f/4) to get a properly exposed shot.
Abs.Abando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:39 AM   #4

Hello,

Do you have to pay money for this, or is it just being given to you?

If you have to pay money for it, I'd say you are better off putting your money towards something else.

If it is being given to you, I would say, "Check the Trigger Voltage of the flash unit before you hook it up to your camera. If the Trigger Voltage is too high, it may damage (ie. destroy) your camera. [If you want to know how to measure trigger voltage, I might be able to find a link that tells you how to do it. I do it with a simple voltage meter. It's not that involved.]

As for putting your camera on auto mode with this flash, no it will NOT work. Although this flash has an AUTO mode, it does not work with the AUTO mode on your D80. (They do not mean the same thing.) The AUTO mode that is on this flash unit, pre-dates the much more powerful TTL (Through The Lens - Auto Mode) that modern cameras and flash units use.

If you are getting the flash for free & the trigger voltage is low enough (ie. safe enough to use on your camera), then grab it and play with it. It will wet your appetite for using flash. Flash is really great at helping you getting nicer exposures in many situations. If you get it and play with it, you're probably going to be more willing to spend a little more to get a good flash unit. <grin>

If the flash unit is like the one pictured on this page . . .

http://www.ioffer.com/i/49277971

Then . . . as mentioned above . . . you would need to set your camera to manual mode. But it's only a little harder to use a flash on AUTO mode than TTL mode. [Although TTL is nice. <grin>]

If you set the ISO to 200 on your camera, then turn your camera to manual mode. Set your aperture to f4 & shutter speed to 1/200sec or slower. (Experiment to see what looks good.) I'd set it to 1/125sec. [But it will probably be difficult to set your camera to f4 so, use ISO 400 instead. See next settings.]

If you set the ISO to 400 on your camera, then turn your camera to manual mode. Set your aperture to f8 & shutter speed to 1/200sec or slower. (Experiment to see what looks good.) I'd set it to 1/125sec.

If the picture looks dark, just open up the aperture (eg. Go from f8 to f5.6 - ie. use a lower f-stop number.)

The big thing if you end up trying this flash is to bounce the flash off the ceiling and see how the picture turns out. It will look nicely and eveningly lit like the sample that mtclimber has posted. You can't get that nice lighting from built-in flash alone!

Hope this helps!

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
You really want a TTL flash that operates in concert with your D-80. Nikon makes 3 very good flash units: the SB 400 (tilt, but no swivel around) the SB 600 with full tilt and svivel and medium power, the SB-800 with full tilt, swivel, and full power.
Actually, the Sb800 is now discontinued, and replaced by the SB-900, although you should still be able to find SB800's new and certainly in the used market.

In terms of bang for the the buck, the Sb600 is a no-brainer. It can be found new for around $180, used for even less.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 5:40 PM   #6

Many thanks for all the info............I got the flash for the price of a drink,and wow what a difference it makes,I,ve only played with it for about 30 mins and I can defo see the advantage.............I,m now going to save for a budget Flash which will work on Auto with my D80,I would just use the manual selection but my eyesight is,nt as great as it used to be so am relying on the Auto Focus to aid me............but it,s a great start...........again............Many thanks.

PS

Just need to get my head around settings etc etc.
Haggler is offline   Reply With Quote