Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:35 PM   #1

I am new to using external flashes, so please bear with me here. Quite some time ago I won a beautiful Canon 480EG flash, but it didn't come with the necessary battery pack to run it, so I never used it. After becoming more serious with my photography, I hunted down a battery pack and finally had all the pieces to make this beautiful monster work. Unfortunately, it won't work with my digital rebel (the original model). It won't fire at all with the camera in any setting. It test fires fine. It also fires on my film Elan. Any solutions on how to make this work with the rebel, or is it not even possible? I am looking to upgrade to a 40D soon, and was wondering if this flash will work with this camera, or if I need to purchase a new flash too? Seems a shame to let this one go to waste.

In case anyone is wondering, I have a sunpak 522 which fires fine from the hotshoe on the rebel, so the problem isn't with the hotshoe...
images by mlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:17 AM   #2

How is your 480 connected to the Rebel? Do you have a shoe adapter for it?
Abs.Abando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:32 AM   #3

Yes, it has a cord that runs from the camera's hot shoe to the flash. The cord is also brand new.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:43 PM   #4
nkg

The 480EG is a TTL-only flash and thus can't be used with any EOS digital camera in automatic mode.

However, the 480EG does support autoflash, and *should* work in that mode, but you need the Synchro Cord 480 for that to work.

What country are you in?
nkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:59 PM   #5

I am not shooting in any automatic modes. I am in the US.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:01 PM   #6

I have the cord that came with the flash that goes from it to the hot shoe.Not sure if that is the cord you are referring to?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 7:31 AM   #7

No ... thecord that goes into the hot shoe will not work with ettl based dSLRs. Even Canon's web site states it is not compatible.

You need the PC socket/terminalconnector "Synchro Cord 480", which plugs into a camera's PC (flash) terminal. However your Rebel does not have a PC connector, if I remember rightly. You might find a hot-shoe adapter that will work with the Rebel and provide an appropriate connection point.

The 30D/40D/50D do have a PC connector.

Better yet, sell the 480eg and get a 580EXII, which will work transparently with your camera.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:58 AM   #8

Thank you, that was very helpful!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:09 AM   #9

I hope you do not think I was being flippant.

Personally, what with you considering a 40D, I'd use the 480eg with it and the synchro cord. As an old time manual flash user, that 480eg would be a very nice flash to still have.

But like I said, the 580exII is designed to work with the ettl and ettl-ii cameras and it works well ... in fact, I use one as my "master" and two 430exII as my "slaves" in studio-like settings with absolutely no problems. Expensive, yes, but I have found it well worth it.

Besides beingmore powerful than the 430exII, the 580ex and ex-II is can control the 430's... the 580exII is considered their "flagship" (Canon's words).
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:47 PM   #10

No, I wasn't thinking that at all, I am very grateful for the advice! I'm really new to using flash, and it has been very frustrating that nothing seems to be working.