Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:38 AM   #11

Just to add to my earlier post, and clarify, the pre-flash for exposure is usually very short, and occurs too quickly on most cameras to get the closed-eye phenomenon. The time between them is just milliseconds. (although a few people do have blink reactions that fast, the majority don't)

Cameras that use the on-board flash as a focus assist light are more likely to have this problem tahn ones which have a dedicated focus assist lamp. Most dedicated external flashes will have a focus assist lamp built in which shines a patterned red light to give faster focus, also preventing the eyes-closed problem.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:04 PM   #12

Code:
Cameras that use the on-board flash as a focus assist light are more likely to have this problem tahn ones which have a dedicated focus assist lamp. Most dedicated external flashes will have a focus assist lamp built in which shines a patterned red light to give faster focus, also preventing the eyes-closed problem.
Does the Metz 48 have this feature (focus assist lamp) that works with the Alpha?
saltyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:58 PM   #13

Salty-

Yes, the Metz 48 has that feature. However, the most important feature is to get you out there and taking good flash photos. As I mentioned previously, there is a bit of psychology that the photographer can employ. And this is where the rubber meets the road.

I always tell the folks that I am using "bounce flash" off the ceiling and they might not ever see it. Pause. Then I tell them to focus their eyeballs on my camera camera and to ignore the flash.

No, it is not foolproof, but I have increased my quota of great flash photos by doing just that!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:02 PM   #14

Thanks again. I guess it's time to bite the bullet, get the flash, and learn by taking some good flash pics.

Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:30 PM   #15

Sarah, I will take your advice to heart and use your ideas. Sorry, no royalties. LOL