Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:15 PM   #1

I apologize if this is an old topic, as it seems to be somewhat prevalent on the internet. I am having a problem with my A350 and the on-board flash with subjects with closed - or partially closed eyes. I have done a lot of reading on this matter, and it seems I am not alone. It looks like I need to buy a flash that will help overcome the problem, although I sometimes wonder if it's just my picture taking skills. I have had quite a number of cameras, mostly P&S, but also include an Oly E510. I never had this problem before. So I really don't think it's all me.

I am leaning towards a Metz 58, as I understand it has a flash mode that does not use the camera's pre-flash which seems to be the culprit in the closed eye syndrome. Are there any other Metz flashes that might suit me better? Or for that matter, another type of flash better suited that the Metz.

I am not a professional, and this is just a hobby. I realize the Metz may be a little expensive, but I am looking for a decent quality flash that will help me with this problem. I haven't had a flash fo a while now, but the last one was a sunpack with my old Canon EOS-650. It was nice, although I can't remember the model.

Any suggestions will help.......

Doug
saltyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:54 PM   #2

I have run into this when out with my Pentax, and without my external flash. Just about any dedicated flash will do, as long as it is capable of bouncing the light off the ceiling or wall, so you don't have to point it directly in the subjects' eyes. The timing between the pre-flash and main flash is short, but seems to be enough to get people to blink. Another option is to use a non-dedicated flash, the older auto thyristor type, and use manual setting on your camera, allowing the flash to do its own metering. My old Vivitar 285works well at this, and I can trigger it either from the hotshoe or the pc sync cord when mounted on a flash bracket.

Just recalled, that Minolta, and therefore Sony don't use the center pin to trigger manual flash on hotshoe. The Sony flashes are basically just the Minolta units rebranded, so a Minolta would work as well with your camera as the Sony dedicated units. If cost is a consideration, check used units at B&H, Adorama, or KEH.com.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:42 AM   #3

Take a look at Dyxum.com's flash reviews at http://www.dyxum.com/flashes/index.aspand the discussions on sleepy eyes at http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...&PID=12545
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the help. There are a lot of choices out there. Has anyone here used an A350 with a flash they truly enjoy that does not give them this problem??
Old Jan 3, 2009, 5:20 PM   #5

Salty-

Unless you need the extra power of the Metx 58, I would suggest the Metz 48 for consideration as well. With a bounced flash you hardly ever get closed eyes.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the response. I am starting to get the impression that I may not need a flash with an auto mode that overcomes the camera pre-flash. I was looking at the 48 to try and save a little money, but saw it didn't have the auto mode like the 58, so I backed away from it. Maybe I have gotten the wrong idea about what type of flash to get. I have been concentrating on overcoming the eye problem without realizing how to properly use the flash, no matter which flash it is. Sarah, do you use a 48? If so, have you had success with it? Am I making more of this than it actually is? I do that sometimes LOL.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:56 AM   #7

Salty-

Because I travel a lot, usually 9 to 11 months of the year, the size of something that you have to pack and carry with you all the time, becones quite important. Therefore, I use the Metz 48 with my Olympus E-510, and it has worked out very well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:24 PM   #8

Thanks again for the response. It looks like - from what I can gather - that just about any flash that I can bounce - will help me with this problem. As I said before, I used to use a sunpak, but that was with a Canon EOS 650. A long time ago. I never had this closed eye situation back then, and I almost always bounced the flash to avoid possible overexposure. I thought maybe this new issue was due to the camera's pre-flash. When I owned the E510, I didn't have an external flash, but didn't seem to notice the problem. Thus assuming it was a camera problem with the Sony.

I am reading that it was a problem with the A100, but was at least somewhat rectified with the later models. One more possible suggestion from the readers here would be appreciated. Should I go for a Metz, or a Sony flash. I realize it's a matter of personal preference, and I won't hunt anyone down for the wrong suggestion. I am just getting tired of looking. LOL
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:29 PM   #9

I apologize for the above post. I had not reviewed these particular forums as well as some others. I now see this question has been asked SO many times that it almost needs it's own forum area. I thank you for all your support in this thread, and I will make a decision based upon your previous recommendations. Keep up the good work and I will be be lurking around as this has got to be the best forum for photography on the net.

Salty
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:17 PM   #10

Salty-

Please don't give up. Either the Metz 48 AF-1 or the appropiate Sony or Minolta flash will work nicely. I will admit thatI take part in a bit of subject pre-conditioning. I point out with finger pointing and arm gestures that I am using a Bounce Flash the is going to reflect from the room's ceiling. It definitely will not be in their eye at all.

Then like any magician, I deflect the attention even further by asking them to look only at the camera, as the really will not see the actual flash. That usually works quite well.

Sarah Joyce