Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Sep 15, 2002, 9:46 PM   #31
NHL

KCan, (Monsieur Metz)

What's the -4 for? I have seen other dash as well, what does it means?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 11:30 PM   #32

NHL,
for 60 and 45 series:
-4 is somewhat the top of the series , with manual mode, auto-thyristor mode,and built in TTL capability , means supporting SCA adapter ; also have a secondary tube.
-3 is identical to Ė4 , except have no secondary tube.( -3 are seen rarely )
-1 is the lower end , only manual and auto-thyristor mode ; nevertheless , the 45CT-1 was reputed (long ago) as "the best wedding flash" ( well I think credit go to the photographer and the camera also , of course)

CT: the original designation
CL: the new designation , minor change on design ( like led ready light instead of neon bulb )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 5:40 AM   #33
NHL

Thank

I thought I saw -5 and -6 in the old days... Do they all have some kind of LED display in the back as well? their site is very unclear...
Old Sep 16, 2002, 11:17 AM   #34

It's not an LED digit display, just that the ready and flash ok lightrs are LEDs instead of lamps. The back panel is very sparse with only two switches for power and secondary flash and two indicator lights with a calculator/mode dial on top with indicators for each mode.

The CT flashes have high voltage sync IIRC so use a PCT-100 or safe sync voltage isolator.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 11:40 AM   #35

What I know:

45CT-1 has an exposure ok confirmation led on the back of the body ( it glows when the HV capacitor is not completely discharged , so it knows there was enough flash power for the exposure , of course, this is a limited information)
the ready light is a neon bulb .
Some of 45CT-1 also has a high voltage trigger circuit ( mine has 225 volt)

45CT-4 has color leds on the back of the head reminding the modes, usefull when UR in the dark ( manual, auto, ttl, winder ) ; a red confirmation led and a neon ready light bulb on the body.
45CL-4 has a led ready light instead of a neon bulb, I don't know if the internal circuitry has changes compared to CT-4, I don't think so.

yeah >> led: I mean one led , not alphanumeric display.

---------
From Metz FAQ:
Quote:
What is the difference between the mecablitz 45 CT and 45 CL units?

The flash units of the mecablitz 45 CL series are the follow-up model to the mecablitz 45 CT units. In general, the display for flash ready indicator has been changed. The flash ready indicator in the mecablitz 45 CL units uses a light diode, whereas this display in the mecablitz 45 CT series is a glow lamp.

Quote:
Furthermore, please bear in mind that the mecablitz 45 CT 1 with a model number less than 534,000 still have a so-called high-voltage ignition circuit. These types of flash units may not be connected directly to modern cameras. Under certain circumstances the camera may even be damaged.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 12:01 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
I thought I saw -5 and -6 in the old days... Do they all have some kind of LED display in the back as well? their site is very unclear...
NHL, you were right .
Someone ( probably a member here, thanks to you) emailed me a pic of his 45CT-5 , I did not know it existed ! , it was not mentioned in any Metz paper catalog , nor on the Metz website , probably because it was discontinued long ago (?)
The 45CT-5 looks like the CT-4, with the secondary tube. The back of the head is a bit different , and has what looks like an array of alphanumeric red leds display , the kind of display we had on old TI-57/TI-59 calculator . The pic shows the display off so I canít tell for sure.

Une image vaut mille mots :

http://www.pbase.com/kcan/45ct5
Old Feb 11, 2003, 7:39 AM   #37
NHL

Quote:
The back of the head is a bit different , and has what looks like an array of alphanumeric red leds display , the kind of display we had on old TI-57/TI-59 calculator...
I thought so, and I think they are used to indicate min/max distance when set in the auto mode. Do you know where we can still get thoses? Wished I had bought them instead of the Sunpak... in my F1 days :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Feb 11, 2003, 11:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Do you know where we can still get thoses? Wished I had bought them instead of the Sunpak... in my F1 days :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes I visit a camera store selling used Metz stuff, but never seen the CT-5, in the other hand, there are lots of 60-CTx , but the separate battery pack on the belt make it less practical ...
Old Feb 15, 2003, 4:27 PM   #39

I have a Metz 45ct4.Have been trying to mate it with my D7 since last Aug. when I heard about the SCA 3302 M3 adapter.Well I ordered the SCA 3302 M3 adapter and the 3000C cable.It took until Oct. for me to get it.Was I mad when I found out the wholesaler sent out the wrong one to the store.It only took close to 3 month for them to send out a SCA 3302 M1.Told the store to try again.After another month wait Dec. now.They sent out the SCA 3302 M2.Now my blood was boiling.So I talked to the wholesaler myself and found out they did not even have the M3 in stock yet.Why they would just send out the M1 & M2 and hope it would work with my camera is beyond me????So at the end of Jan. they got it right and I got the SCA 3302 M3.Hooked it all together and it does not work properly.Sure the flash fires but after the shutter has open and closed.No flash in the image.I tried every setting on the camera and the flash ADI,TTL.S,P,A,M.Maybe it was my flash gun tried it with a roll of film in my 35mm.Works like a charm.Took the cable and the adapter back to the store they contacted the techs at Metz here in Canada.They said to try a different cable or I could send in my flash to have it rewired so it will work with my D7.For a fee of $60.00 Canadian.I said I don't think so on the fix to my flash.I'll try the new cable first.At this point it has been 6 months since I first started.Thinking I should go with the Sigma EF-500 Super DG flash.Any one else have any luck with the 45ct4 and the D7?
brucelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 5:47 PM   #40

Brucelroy,
I had the same experience with a store here. When they call me the second time telling that they can get the M3, then I did not order it .
From what I remember, you are the first trying the adaptor and post feedback here.
Myself, I donít think I will get the adapter anymore, I prefer using the flash in auto mode with my home made adapter