Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1

Hi guys, i posted a similar question in the studio lighting forum, thought I'd start a new thread specifically on the Metz flashguns in this "flash external" forum.

Im looking for a light that is not too big and bulky that I can take with me on location, I currently use a 580exii but it is a small lightsource and sometimes cant output enough power, and now I'd like a bigger lightsource that I can use possibly with a big softbox for really soft lighting on the go. Ive heard the Metz is a pretty good light, (GN of 76 is the big attraction at this early stage, plus ability to use on camera) either on a bracket or on its own stand for portrait work, does anyone have any experience with one? and can I add modifiers to it, cant find much in the way of softboxes and the like that can be fitted to them (searching on the net that is).

Really appreciate any info u might have on the 76.
thanks
GB

GerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:20 AM   #2
NHL

I don't have a 76 yet, but do own it's older brother the 70 which is physically the same unit dimension (see attachment below)...
The Metz already comes with its own bracket for the camera...

Have you look into Photoflex?
For handheld:
http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_P..._xs/index.html

For off-camera:
http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_P...and/index.html

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:14 AM   #3

Thanks NHL, thanks for that link, I hadnt seen a 3rd party fitting for a metz flash bracket before. Have seen ones for canon, nikon, standard speedlight size, etc but not Metz. I think I need to go into the store and see if the metz can be mounted to bigger softboxes, I assume then this might be the case. have to do some more investigating! Out of interest NHL, do you find the need to use a modifer with your metz, or is the head big enough that it delivers softer light than the smaller speedlights (ie Canon, Nikon) Can u post some example portrait shots using the metz?

Old Jan 24, 2009, 8:13 AM   #4
NHL

GerryB wrote:
Quote:
... Have seen ones for canon, nikon, standard speedlight size, etc but not Metz. I think I need to go into the store and see if the metz can be mounted to bigger softboxes, I assume then this might be the case.
Yeap - This'll work on any stand:
http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_P...els/index.html

Quote:
do you find the need to use a modifer with your metz, or is the head big enough that it delivers softer light than the smaller speedlights (ie Canon, Nikon)
You need a modifier as the Metz is still a point source even though with the bigger head its direct light is still quite harsh; This is no different than even larger studio strobes, you'll need something to soften it up or at a minimum bounce it. The MZ 7 series is quite powerful that its overhead bounce can light up an entire room (and its tiny front flash can do wonder for filling in with a 'catchlight'). Also like most studio lights you also don't have to worry about the Metz shutting down as its head is fan cooled especially on rapid fire... (Kind of silly to wait for a Canon/Nikon to cool down in a middle of a shoot isn't it?)

IMO in this price range you should also consider the Quantum's:
http://www.qtm.com/QFlash/?res_set=y...&resh=1200
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 2:40 AM   #5

NHL, thanks for QFLASH recommendation also. I'll be visiting the local camera shop this week, and I'll enquire about these units also, they seem great aswell.

So many choices & considerations to make!

I think once I hold each of these products in my hands and any others the store might recommend, It will come down to build quality, portability and the light output, and to make sure pocket wizards work on em. Which are prbly the standard attributes everyone is looking for!!