Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:18 PM   #1

I am looking to buy an external flash and am debating between the SB-400 and SB-600. I ama novice and I have a Nikon D40x. I like the small size of the SB-400 but am concerned about the fact that you can't bounce off the ceiling when shooting vertically. My concern with the SB-600 is the size and do I really need it? Like I said right now I am just starting out, but would hate to get the SB-400 and want to upgrade right away. Any thoughts? Thanks.
bkond08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:42 PM   #2

I have the SB400 and it works very well with the D40/D40x/D50/D60/D70/D70s/D60/D80/D90 and D200 and so on.

It is limited as you have stated. It does not have the power of the SB600 nor the ability to use when shooting vertically.

SB600 hands down. If you want, you can PM me to try both of them out. I travel to Milwaukee every weekend.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:58 AM   #3

Hello,

If you are interested in the SB-400, there is that Sunpak RD2000 that is around.

I don't know anything about it.

Just saw it in the latest Popular Photography.

In the little write up from pop-photo, it said it has tilt & swivel, but I've never seen any pictures on how this works with this flash.

And it is only about $100.

(Not a recommendation, but just curious if you were aware of the flash unit. I've never heard anything else about this flash unit except in the little write-up in pop-photo.)

(If this thing actually works, it is cheap and slightly more useful than the SB-400 & I think they say the GN is 56 (in feet @ iso 100)? Says its twice as powerful as the built-in flash, which isn't much, but if it tilts & swivels, even if it isn't that powerful at least you get the light going where you want it <grin>)

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 2:57 PM   #4

For curiosity I read through the PDF on the Sunpak RD2000 & I don't think it has swivel.

http://www.tocad.com/sunpak/flashunits.html

It talks about swivel, but the swivel I think it's talking about is letting the hotshoeof the flashtuck up into the unit to make it store more easily.

The PDF doesn't come right out and say it tilts & swivels, which if it did, I'd assume that they'd come right out and say it.

So . . .

As above, since you know you want swivel, SB-600 looks good!

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:52 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your responses :-)
bkond08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 1:53 PM   #6
conor

I just picked up an SB-600 and though I only played with it for an hour last night, I'm very impressed with the flexibility.

I can't speak to the 400, though comparing specs alone, I think you'd be much happier in the long run if you spent that little extra up front.