Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:00 PM   #1

I need serious help this time because I try to shoot one of my chef's wedding on April and it is free. This is my first time for wedding photography and I need advice for lighting setup. I own an Canon 580 ex2 flashgun and will use my 5D w/24-105 and 70-200 as main camera, my Sony A700 with 16-80 and a FM56 flash as my backup.
I had read a lot of online articles about multiple wireless flash setup ( I need portable and most important - budget ). Can I use 2 580 ex2 for main and fill light and a 430 ex as a back light? I know they have different guide numbers. What about just 2 580 as main and fill light with a remote trigger and receiver? or use 3 580 ex2? or a monolight kit?
Thanks for any advice as I shoot mostly restaurant food and promotion event and I do not have any experience for studio lighting.

Chefkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Super Moderator

If this is your first wedding just keep it simple. You will have enough to think about with getting the right shots let alone using a multiple flash setup. I shoot with a 5D and 24-105 and EX580 for main and 1D mkIII,70-200mm f2.8 ISwith 430 as secondary.

I do no more than this as a weddingis fast pacedenough without moving additional strobes. If you had an assistance who knew your process and setups well then you could do it but my advice is don't burden yourself.

Sospend your time working out the shots, poses etc that you want and the camera settingsto do this. If you get a chance find some willing volunteers to assist you as you pose them and see what works and what doesn't. Also you will need to be looking at the clothing of the people you are shooting, is the brides dress nice, is the collar of the groom matching both sides.....etc etc.

Each wedding I do I get better but I still have a lot to learn and there is no way that I would add multiple strobes into this prior to being really comfortable with a days shoot.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:35 AM   #3

Thanks Mark, the reason I need the lighting setup is because they are looking for a 2 shooting sessions. One for the wedding and the one before wedding ( mostly friends and families, they are Asian and both got a huge numbers of guest and the wedding are going about 3 days). I will have a volunteer who can work as a second shooter ( he has Sony system)or just access me for what ever I want.

Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:56 PM   #4
NHL

Chefkenny wrote:
Quote:
Can I use 2 580 ex2 for main and fill light and a 430 ex as a back light? I know they have different guide numbers. What about just 2 580 as main and fill light with a remote trigger and receiver? or use 3 580 ex2? or a monolight kit?
Thanks for any advice as I shoot mostly restaurant food and promotion event and I do not have any experience for studio lighting.
If it's a big wedding party then you'll probably need multiple flashes to cover a larger area... evenly

Two 580EX will work, but you'll need one of the unit to stay on the camera as the Master, and the other 580EX and 430EX can work as Slaves - You just need to point the IR window on the slaves toward the camera's Master, regardless of how you'll oriented their heads... I wouldn't worry about their GN difference as the camera will control them all automatically: http://eosseries.ifrance.com/en/flas...ork_ssfil.html
I wouldn't get an ST-E2 controller as this device cost as much as another flash (A sigma 530DG Super for one) that can act as a Master as well but is another flash just like a 580EX...

-> I'll agree with Mark1616 as a Wedding is fast paced so combining the EX's with a monolight is not a good idea because you'll have adjust all the flashes manually, and now with all their different output (i.e. GN) you'll be hard pressed to gauge their adjustments quickly when everyone is waiting for you to pose them or to take the shots - Another option is to use a more powerful Metz 75 series or Quantum which can light up a whole church even with high ceiling and still be on automatic and be able to move around freely: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=53
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:00 AM   #5

I would experiment with using a hotshoe flash with your camera and see how much light it will throw and what kind of light it will give you for what you need....... You will be moving about a lot and wanting to capture as many photos as possible durning the short window and using stobe or lights on stands will really slow you down.

I have done a couple of weddings for family/realtives and a friend and I find that you can take upwards of 800 photos in a few hours. So weigh your options carefully. The more gear you have to carry and especially move the less photos you will be able to take.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:07 AM   #6

Thanks all for the replies and I totally agree that wedding is a first moving event ( after watching the Master of wedding photography=DVD ).

Now I have another question: Can I use my Canon 550EX or 580EX with the hot shoe adapter on my Sony A700? also can I use Gadget Infinity V4 on my Sony A700( the new one ) to wireless trigger all the Canon Sppedlite?

Thanks
Kenny
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:05 AM   #7
NHL

Chefkenny wrote:
Quote:
Now I have another question: Can I use my Canon 550EX or 580EX with the hot shoe adapter on my Sony A700? also can I use Gadget Infinity V4 on my Sony A700( the new one ) to wireless trigger all the Canon Sppedlite?
Sure you can, but you're on manual here with the flash(es)... and again with multi-flashes you have to set them independently which is time consuming in a fast moving event wireless (or not)

-> This is also why I prefer 3rd party flashes like the Sigma or Metz:
In their auto-mode they worked independently from the camera brands. My old Sigma EF-500DG Super for Canon can work on my D300 if needed, and then my newer Metz 58AF-1 bought for Nikon works just fine on the 1DMrkII when required (all on Auto which is sometime even more reliable than the E-TTL!)

BTW they have this new wireless E-TTL device now which just put my ST-E2 out to pasture:
http://www.pocketwizard.com/products...iver/36/TT1-C/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote