Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 30, 2009, 8:56 AM   #1

My internal flash croaked and I'm looking to buy my first entry-level external flash. I can't figure out from the Nikon site whether or not the SB-400 Speedlight is compatible (I really don't know much about external flashes at all!) and the SB-600 is definitely out of my price range. I'm looking to spend around $80-$130. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks!!
dankoetke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2009, 4:27 PM   #2

Hello dankoetke,

I was looking at the Sunpak PZ42X a while back.

About $150US on Amazon.com.

I asked about it in this thread & someone with the Canon version replied on their experience with the Canon version of the flash.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=53

It has a little more than a basic external flash unit. But features that you might probably be really glad to get.

1) iTTL - auto mode, so that it can be as simple as point-and-shoot (which is the nice thing about using the built-in flash.)
2) Bounce - so that you can bounce the flash off a ceiling and get nice soft flattering lighting indoors.
3) Swivel - so that you can bounce the flash off the ceiling when you turn your camera on the side (or to actually aim the flash side ways for other effects.)
4) Some sort of manual control, should you want to explore more advanced uses of the flash unit such as off-camera use.

It seems a reasonably priced unit with enough features to really have some fun with it.

Once again, though, I've never used this flash, which is why I was asking what people thought about this flash unit.

And since I am up here in Canada, I have never come across a store here that has this flash unit so I can pop into a store and try it out.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:34 AM   #3

Oh, yeah,

Almost forgot.

There's this flash unit . . .

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/531665081.htm

I've seen it in many photo-mags recently.

But, I don't think this thing swivels. And with the flash so close to the lens, red-eye might be something to contend with.

It is small. And if all you want to do is get something to replace the dead flash on your camera (and you don't want to play with bouncing the light around a lot) then this might be the ticket.

(Although I think this thing at least bounces up.)

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 11:44 AM   #4

Hi there,

I do not have any serious plans to buy an external flash, but whne I saw this one on e-bay was quite curious:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yongnuo-YN-460-U...3A1%7C294%3A50

In case the link doesn't work, the specs are below:

Specification:
This flash speedlight YN-460 (Yongnou make) is designed for all Camera except Sony and Minolta, the appearance is very nice, it's a very smaller and light heavy weight. Meanwhile, it has a lot of function, such as index powerful, simple operation, full-featured, and completed equipped, it's a very good choice for you.
It includes a soft board and diffusing board to make the flash light soften and create a sharp color effect on the subject.
The most important feature of this flash is optic control for slave unit. It provides 2 different slave mode (for non-TTL or TTL supported Master Flash) for create multiple light effect from the various direction.

Parameters:
Flash index: 33
Circuit design: IGBT
Up/down ward angle: 0-90 degree
Left/right angle: 0-270 degree
Power Source: 4 X AA size batteries (Alkaline or Ni-MH are usable)
Battery Life: 100 - 1500 times (with alkaline batteries)
Recycle Time: 5 sec(with alkaline batteries)
Color Temperature: 5600K
Flash Duration: 1/800S - 1/20000S
Flash adjustment: "7 difference flash power level ( 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 )"
Power Saving: " Stand by mode, 30mins to power off mode. 60mins to power off when using the optic mode. "
Dimensions: 72X135X85mm
Net Weight: 250g

Includes:
  • 1 * Flash light
  • 1 * Protector bag
  • 1 * Mini stand
  • 1 * Manual in English
This is being sold at US$ 53 on e-bay, obviously quite tempting. Would anyone have some idea or feedback? Is the spec as attractive as it looks?
siddhartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 1:56 PM   #5

Dan-

The Nikon SB-400 flash will work on your D-50 just fine. The SB-400 does tilt but it does not swivel. Its flash power output is less than 1/2 of the SB-600.

You also might want to look at the Bower SFD-35N, which I found at B&H. It costs $(US)69.95 and seems to have good user reviews. I have never used this flash, but found it when I went looking for inexpensive dedicated external flash units.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 25, 2009 at 2:14 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 4:01 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankoetke View Post
I'm looking to spend around $80-$130.
You may want to give one of these a try (Vivitar DF 283 Series 1, Vivitar DF 383 Series 1):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600858-REG/Vivitar_DF_283_NIK_DF_283_Series_1.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600865-REG/Vivitar_DF_383_NIK_DF_383_Series_1.html

Sakar International (the new owner of the Vivitar brand name), announced these two new flash models in March, and they're supposed to be fully compatible with digital SLR models. You wouldn't get High Speed Sync like you would with the SB-600, but your Nikon D50 has a relatively fast x-sync speed anyway.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 7:08 AM   #7

Hi,
I have a Nikon D60 and I to am looking to purchase an external flash, upon my search I came across this.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._TTL_Shoe.html

Apparently the Nissin DI 622 rates well from what I gathered and was designed to compete with the Nikon SB600. It's $20 more than your max price but $80 less than the SB600 using B&H as a price guide. It might be worth a look.

Cheers
Steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 10:56 AM   #8

Steve-

If you purchase the Nissan DI 622 flash I would be interested is hearing a user report. I am also interested in that flash, but the lack of user info has me a bit worried. My debate is this: Is the SB-600 the best choice due to a better lifespan and a few more options? Honestly, I am not sure. However, I sure would want to consider a less cost option, if it proved to be a reliable/useful flash.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 28, 2009, 2:24 PM   #9

Hi Sarah,
I will definately let you know how it goes if I purchase the Nissin DI 622. My dilema is up here in the great white north there doesn't seem to be as many great deals as there are in the U.S. Right now the cheapest I could find the Nissin here in Ottawa is $239, for $30 dollars more I can get the SB 600, yet the SB 400 is $159 which I believe is only $20 more than at B&H in the States. Prices here in Canada just don't seem to go up in the same increments as they do in the States when factoring the exchange rate. So as it stands I am leaning towards the SB 600 at the moment.
Sarah here are 2 links that might intrest you if you haven't seen them already.

http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/...ad.php?t=35076

http://gplz.com/2009/04/nissin-di622-the-review/

Cheers
Steve
Steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 6:05 PM   #10

Thanks Steve-

That helps a lot. Now I have had a friend ask me to find an external flash for her Pentax DSLR (Pentax 2000). So now I have to search in that direction as well.

Sarah Joyce