Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 29, 2003, 4:50 AM   #1

Default Another 7-Hi flash question.

Hi all again. Love...Steve's...Must...Read...More...Posts. :shock:

I have a Minolta 7-Hi and am about to treat myself to a flash unit for the camera, which, I must say, I absolutely love. I have a question regarding this capability of the Minolta or Sigma EF-500 flashes to be mounted in combinations or away from the camera. Can anyone say anything about how this system works, or more specifically, how are the flashes mounted if they're not sitting on the camera? I don't get what this slave function, etc. means.

Anyone, please?

Thanks.

'sound
websounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2003, 5:07 AM   #2

Can't say about that particular combination, but in general a slave flash is a flash that fires when it sees the light of another flash firing (there are also radio slaves, but they trigger from a radio signal from the camera).

I personally use a Metz 34-CS2 slave with my Olympus camera due to the added costs that the Oly's proprietary flash socket would incure. Here's a picture I took in the store with the Metz slave flash sitting on the counter just to test that it can fire without any electrical contact to the camera:
http://www.photobucket.com/albums/08...n/preflash.jpg
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 5:22 AM   #3

Default Yes, but...

But what do you mount it to if you want to mount it on a tripod, for example? I have seen optical slave mounts on ebay, but these seem to be more for the "older" type of flashes that need an optical sensor to trigger them. Is there some generic mount that you can use with these wireless ones?
Thanks again.
'sound
Old Oct 29, 2003, 5:34 AM   #4
NHL

Sound

Refer to the Sigma 500DG Super here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...757&highlight=

This unit is a virtual clone to the Minolta 5600HS(D). The Minolta flashes, like the Canon system, is no ordinary slaves: It's a complete wireless system designed to be controlled through TTL from the camera.

You can put either one device on(or off) the camera, or multiple units with different lighting ratio (ie 1 full, and several at 1/2 power for example). The camera will then issue controlling pulses from the camera via the built-in flash or an external unit mounted on the its hot-shoe to turn the other remote units ON and OFF accordingly... normal dumb slaves will just fire with the 1st burst totally missing the correct flash sequences. Metz flashes use a different wireless protocol and are not compatible with the Minolta's or Canon's but are compatible among themselves (ie Metz compatible units)

The external units stand on their own via a plastic 'X' crossed foot that come with theses flashes or can be mounted to light stands via their hot-shoes with an adapter... And just like studio flashes with modeling light... all theses external units are capable of this as well: Press the stop-down button on the camera and all the flashes will pulses rapidly to simulate the shadows/reflection effects that the photographer can observe before taking the actual picture (in the Canon system its the FEL* lock button)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 5:38 AM   #5
NHL

Quote:
Is there some generic mount that you can use with these wireless ones?
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...8704&sku=LTFSA
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...78704&sku=FASB
Old Oct 29, 2003, 5:41 AM   #6

In the kit (that I bought) there was not only a bracket to attach the flash to any camera (with a tripod socket), but there was also a plastic flash mount that screws into a tripod...there have been times where I've had the flash in the mount on the tripod, and held the camera freehand.

I admit though that in many ways I would like to have a true TTL flash for my camera, but the one for my camera costs over $400 plus it would require a proprietary cable and bracket...instead the Metz slave flash sells for $150 and I bought a generic bracket for $25.

One thing about the Metz slave though which may turn some people off, it uses non-rechargeable CR2 lithium batteries.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 6:06 AM   #7
NHL

From the Sigma site:
Quote:
# Wireless-TTL, slave-flash functions.

The EF-500 DG SUPER provides the TTL wireless-slave-flash functions, which allows the flash to be moved to a location away from the camera for operation. The TTL wireless-flash function enables the control of multiple EF-500 DG SUPER units while preserving the automatic TTL exposure control function. The model for Sigma and Minolta uses the camera's built-in flash for signaling, and makes the EF-500 DG SUPER located away from the camera the main light source. The model for Canon utilizes an EF-500 DG SUPER mounted on the camera for signaling, and triggers and controls single or multiple EF-500 DG SUPER units, located away from the camera. In this procedure, the signaling and flash triggering are performed by changing the settings of the EF-500 DG SUPER mounted on the camera. The Designated Slave-flash function enables one EF-500 DG SUPER on the camera, o trigger multiple offf-camera, units of the EF-500 DG SUPER, each corresponding to a preset channel. The Normal Slave-flash function can be used to synchronize one or more EF-500 DG SUPER flashes with the camera's internal flash or other flash equipment (with manual exposure control).
Notice the next to last sentence as well... unlike optical dumb slaves , up to 4 different photographers can use this system simultaneously without triggering one another system. Each user pick their channel ID by mounting the flashes on the camera 1st and set their channel ID accordingly! 8)

... and here's for the modeling light:
Quote:
# Modeling flash function to check for shadows.

Like a studio flash unit equipped with a modeling lamp, the EF-500 DG SUPER also offers a modeling flash function, enabling the user to check for intense reflections and shadows, before actually taking the flash picture. (for Sigma, Minolta, and Canon cameras).。
(on the Nikon there's a separate button behind its flash) There's none on the Sigma's unit.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 6:09 AM   #8

Default So great.

You people are so great.
It's freaking 4:30 AM when I post, I go out and get some coffee, come back, and...
Wow. Thank you.
There must be a reason that all you gotta do is type "Steve's" on google and up this site comes.

Have a really nice week/end guys.

'sound
Old Oct 29, 2003, 6:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Metz flashes use a different wireless protocol and are not compatible with the Minolta's or Canon's but are compatible among themselves (ie Metz compatible units)
Just want to add that the Metz slave I was talking about, the 34-CS2 Digital, IS compatible with all cameras, those with or without a preflash. It fires when it sees the internal camera flash fire.

It is also compatible with the Metz radio frequency (if you have it set that way), but you don't need it to use this flash, you can use it just as a flash sensitive flash...I just wanted to clear that fact up.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 6:28 AM   #10
NHL

Mike

I understand that... with one unit, the Metz will work just fine!

It's when you have a combination of different brands with two external slaves or more that's when you'll need multiple Metz units (and not mix and match). Pre-flash is not the problem... but controlling the modeling might be, or doing a flash exposure lock which the Metz's will fail to understand...

I've been a Metz fan for a long time... and still am. In fact my analog Metz outperformed my state of the art Canon's 550EX on full E-TTL in some situation! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW when the main flash is totally OFF the camera and a Minolta IR remote flash controller is used (or a Canon ST-E2), the Metz RF system will be entirely incompatible with the IRs.