Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 30, 2009, 7:45 PM   #1

Default Reasonably Priced Flash for a Pentax KM-2000

Hi there folks-

I am looking for a reasonably priced external flash that will work conveniently and comfortably with a Pentax KM-2000.

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:02 PM   #2

Research thus far has narrowed it down to 2 Vivitar flash units. B&H stocks these

(a) Vivitar DF283 Series 1 $89.95
(b) Vivitar DF383 Series 1 $129.95

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:42 AM   #3
Administrator

No responses yet, huh?

Let us know if you decide to get one of those models. I saw one review from a Sony dSLR owner that said the DF383 worked great. But, without more feedback, I wouldn't put my faith in just one user review (as they may not have tried one in more conditions with a greater variety of subject distances to make sure it exposed more scenes properly).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 4:39 PM   #4

I just ordered me a Pentax AF 200FG- they seem reasonably priced and have P-TTL auto flash to give you a decent exposure by measuring the flash's pre-discharge with the camera's metering system. Well that's the marketing! ;-)
tbanting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Research thus far has narrowed it down to 2 Vivitar flash units. B&H stocks these

(a) Vivitar DF283 Series 1 $89.95
(b) Vivitar DF383 Series 1 $129.95

Sarah Joyce
Here is a mini review of the vivitar 383 flash on another board.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/c...83-review.html

Sorry I don't have either flash so I can't tell you much about that flash.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:41 PM   #6
Administrator

That's too bad (doesn't appear to work properly if tilted). I'm wondering if that's only a problem with the flash for Pentax bodies, or if the same problem exists with this flash in other mounts. Given it's low price, I suspect we'll find out soon enough as more users give it a try.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:13 PM   #7

The Vivitar looks exactly like the Digital Concepts 952AF, which I purchased a while back. Some of the issues the reviewer has are the same as what I have experienced.
The Pentax version has some problems with getting the flash contacts to line up with the shoe. This seems to be due to the tab in front of the shoe, and there being no corresponding notch on the flash foot. The foot being plastic, this is easily corrected with a pocket knife or X-acto type. Once this is done, it is much easier to get correct alignment.
The flash, on my *ist D, tends to overexpose in close-up shots, even with the diffuser, but works well otherwise. When tilted or swivelled, it reverts to 50mm zoom position, and manual setting, which makes sense, as bounce flash is going to work differently than direct. It still provides the metering pre-flash, and seems to expose correctly.
When used as a wireless slave, it will trigger on a pre-flash, and will only work with manual camera setting.
Overall, it isn't a fully functional replacement for Pentax units such as the 360 and 540, but for the price, is worthwhile.

brian
Edit: I also find that using manual WB set to 'cloudy' seems to give a slightly better overall WB, as the flash setting leaves pictures looking a bit on the cool side.

Last edited by VTphotog; Jul 10, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:24 PM   #8

Brian-

Many thanks for that link. Based on that info I decided against the Vivitar flash. In the end, my solution was to go with a Sigma EF-500 flash that I bought new in the box at a garage sale today for $(US) 10.00.

It works great with the Pentax K-2000 and I am a happy camper, with a more powerful flash than the Pentax AF-200 that can with the camera at a great price.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Brian-

Many thanks for that link. Based on that info I decided against the Vivitar flash. In the end, my solution was to go with a Sigma EF-500 flash that I bought new in the box at a garage sale today for $(US) 10.00.

It works great with the Pentax K-2000 and I am a happy camper, with a more powerful flash than the Pentax AF-200 that can with the camera at a great price.

Sarah Joyce
Wow you are one lucky women to find the Sigma EF-500 for $10. Did you get the ST or the Super version? I have the newier Sigma 530 Super for my K20D. The only difference between mine and your is the 530 is about 10% more powerful. But for $10, that is a steal! The sigma 500/530 works great in auto mode.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:00 AM   #10

Hi Brian-

No, the EF-500 that I got this weekend is the ST version, but it works perfectly and I cannot complain about the price either. It belonged to a man who passed away and the estate was getting rid of the estate remains. I did not get there in time for the lenses, as they were gone.

Sarah Joyce