Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:11 AM   #21

You may find a pavilion provides very poor bounce capabilities. In which case you have to use direct flash (where diffusers become more beneficial). In these situations I also use a flash bracket which provides more separation between the flash and the sensor which reduces red-eye further. Im not suggesting you run out and buy a flash bracket. But if you intend to do a lot of event shooting it is certainly well worth the money as there are many places where bounce just isn't practical.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:27 AM   #22
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
You may find a pavilion provides very poor bounce capabilities. In which case you have to use direct flash (where diffusers become more beneficial). In these situations I also use a flash bracket which provides more separation between the flash and the sensor which reduces red-eye further. Im not suggesting you run out and buy a flash bracket. But if you intend to do a lot of event shooting it is certainly well worth the money as there are many places where bounce just isn't practical.

I have heard of people point the flash up and using an index card... does that really work ?
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:43 AM   #23

The index card is really just to divert SOME light forward so you get some fill in addition to bouncing. So, if you can't bounce, then the index card concept is a bit pointless.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 10:30 AM   #24
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo View Post
am down to
430ex ii for $234
or
EF-530 DG Super $219
IMO the EF-530 DG Super is the way to go...
1. Most powerful
2. Least costly
3. Both Master and Slave

-> and like anthlover remarked this flash can also sync to your studio strobes...
BTW all theses flashes are made out of plastic so if you drop them they equally break the same way may be it doesn't hurt as much when you drop a $200 device....

FYI (ceiling or no celiling): http://photo-tips-online.com/review/...ash-reflector/

Last edited by NHL; Aug 1, 2009 at 2:15 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:35 AM   #25
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
IMO the EF-530 DG Super is the way to go...
1. Most powerful
2. Least costly
3. Both Master and Slave

-> and like anthlover remarked this flash can also sync to your studio strobes...
BTW all theses flashes are made out of plastic so if you drop them they equally break the same way may be it doesn't hurt as much when you drop a $200 device....

FYI (ceiling or no celiling): http://photo-tips-online.com/review/...ash-reflector/
Thanks NHL.. the battle in my head rages on, I really like both flashes soon I will pull the tringer on one or the other very soon.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:56 AM   #26
elo

What about the 530 DG ST, it seems Identical to the super, but cant be a master?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:04 PM   #27
Administrator

You'll probably want to avoid the lower priced ST model. It's missing some of the features you get with the Super, including FP mode/HSS (High Speed Sync), which you may want if shooting at wider apertures outdoors where your shutter speed may exceed the camera's x-sync speed.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 5:49 PM   #28
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo View Post
Thanks NHL.. the battle in my head rages on, I really like both flashes soon I will pull the tringer on one or the other very soon.
Piece of cake in my case...

The decision is quite easy if you are going to bounce (or diffuse) the light in which case you'll need the higher GN - Period

-> A lower power head will not go the distance when bounced/diffused or will cover a narrower area plus it'll take longer to recharge when its capacitor is fully discharged as opposed to higher power unit which work less hard!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:50 PM   #29

Default ST bad

ST also has no LCD Panel for set up.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:49 PM   #30
elo

I was about to order when I notice there are 2 types of flashes on amazon... are they the same? I notice the first one *in my Cart does not say ETTL but the description looks the same.

Sigma EF-530 DG Super Electronic Flash for Canon DSLR
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Sigma EF-530 DG Super EO-ETTL II Electronic Flash for Canon EOS
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-EF-530-D.../dp/B000V7TJHC