Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:46 AM   #11

Semi-Macro Photography is probably not best place to learn with your flash for straight on use

What are you Camera settings:

About what Distance Between Camera and Subject
ISO
FStop
Shutter Speed

Odd what you say about full power

I suspect for this test example at what is essentially a macro distance (I presume about 2 feet or less) and that your using too low a Fstop since the focus falls off before the batteries, and too high on ISO.

You might want to do some of your testing with subject more like 4 to 12 feet away. I would imagine if your going to fire forward you you want not want to be closer then 6 feet. And eventually you would need defusers, light boxes etc for Macro type work.

Even though on a Canon Mount the Flash Can Toggle down to /128 power I suspect that with your settings the flash can not get weak enough. You could for the sake of fun change the ISO to 100 and the FStop F22-F38 and make Sure the Shutter speed is 1/200 (the max regular sync the Canon can do) Note that many can tell you better then I that after some testing fun you would not really ever want to set the Fstop about about F16 + - depending on the lens.

Please also note that your Canon 500D Tti/Sigma 530DG support ETL II so you might want to switch the flash to that mode (note too for macro work it can tilt down 7 degrees [also note that I believe the beams that it turns on to determine flash power is effective from about 2.3 to 23 feet]). I am also quite fond of Canon Free DPP Pro Editing software. Many think it brings out some of the best in a Canon Photo (mostly moot if you do not always hoot Raw +Jpeg). I tried to check your samples info for Lens and Shot settings, they seemed to have been stripped other then it was the IM639.

Last edited by anthlover; Aug 9, 2009 at 9:22 AM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:08 AM   #12
elo

It does not matter the distance the subject is, the meter always reads 60 FT and the flash is super bright. I went to the T1i external flash settings and it says there is incompatiable flash or it is turned off.

I have read the manual and I cant find how to set ETL II mode on the flash.

Here is an example from about 8 ft, its suppose to be a bunch of stuffed animals on the wall.
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:25 AM   #13
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover View Post
Semi-Macro Photography is probably not best place to learn with your flash for straight on use

What are you Camera settings:

About what Distance Between Camera and Subject
ISO
FStop
Shutter Speed

Even though on a Canon Mount the Flash Can Toggle down to /128 power I suspect that with your settings the flash can not get weak enough. You could for the sake of fun change the ISO to 100 and the FStop F22-F38 and make Sure the Shutter speed is 1/200 (the max regular sync the Canon can do) Note that many can tell you better then I that after some testing fun you would not really ever want to set the Fstop about about F16 + - depending on the lens.

All shots have bee 1/200 shutter speed. ISO 400 and and about 5.6 Fstop. I did change the ISO setting to 100 and Fstop to 22, and the shots are now coming out much better, but the flash is still really bright on the subject. Am shooting stuffed animals right now but it would probably blind my kids
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:46 AM   #14

Default Update, Good News and Bad News

My Bad about ETTL II it appears that while being an ETTL/ETTL II flash the display only reads ETTL (perhaps I was remembering my brief test of the 580DX II).

To my Suprise: I reproduced your original ISO 400, F5.6 with my Rebel XT, Tamron 17-50MM lens with our Sigma 530 DG and the exposure is spot on (even shooting a subject 2 to 3 feet away.

I am concerned that their is a compatibility issue between your copy or in General with the 530DG and the Canon T1i/500D. I would call Sigma. The Canon is newer then the Flash and there are sometimes issues like that. Did yours have a 50D Compatible sticker on the Box?? http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english...nfo_081029.htm Flashes shipped after 10/2008 are supposed to be already upgraded.

There is a free upgrade program or you can return your unit if it is an older version.

"Upgrade will be required to overcome the following problems
The Autozoom function does not work properly.
Exposure is not correct."

If you have a technical question please call:

1 (800) 896-6858

Last edited by anthlover; Aug 9, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:07 PM   #15
elo

Thanks for the reply I have had no lucking finding anything about this online... But I did wana call sigma but they are only open from 9AM to 5PM Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday so I will have to wait. I may order 430ex ii, but I was really looking foward to the extra juice of the 530 DG Super
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:16 PM   #16
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover View Post
I am concerned that their is a compatibility issue between your copy or in General with the 530DG and the Canon T1i/500D. I would call Sigma. The Canon is newer then the Flash and there are sometimes issues like that. Did yours have a 50D Compatible sticker on the Box?? http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english...nfo_081029.htm Flashes shipped after 10/2008 are supposed to be already upgraded.

There is a free upgrade program or you can return your unit if it is an older version.

"Upgrade will be required to overcome the following problems
The Autozoom function does not work properly.
Exposure is not correct."

If you have a technical question please call:

1 (800) 896-6858
Nope no sticker on the box it just says for canon

Also, the auto zoom on the camer does not stop, when pointed forward even after the camera has focus the flash zoom is constantly adjusting.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:45 PM   #17

Default I think we have an answer

I think we have an answer to your problem. My Did not have the sticker but I bought it in September 2008, a month before the update came out. I of course can send mine in to be updated, and will though I as if yet have no plans to upgrade to a 50D/500D T1i. I would suspect that the 50D fix would resolve your issue to as they are very similar.

I would suggest you return your 530DG if possible and get a new one from someplace that can confirm they will send you a current one. I bought my from Amazon that had a good return policy. Good Luck.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:34 PM   #18
elo

Thanks agian for finding that website with model number.. I did verify I have an old one. I did contact amazon and they said I can return it if Sigma cant solve my issue. Am hoping sigma sends me a newer model but if they don't wana exchange or make it difficult i'll just return it for a refund.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:10 PM   #19

Hmm. I would return it. I do not imagine Sigma will pay round trip shipping, but it will be interesting to find out. Impressive Amazon E support provided an answer so quickly on a weekend. Did you buy from Amazon or an Amazon merchant?

As far as going for the lesser Canon over the Sigma that is a toss up. Better features and Power or iron clad compatabilty. I apologize I did not mention it earlier but all 3rd party peripherals have the small risk (lens and flash) of becoming incompatible as companies like Canon and others do not release their communication protocols. These companies reverse engineer them so sometimes after a number of years you have to ask one of these companies to flash or re-chip your device if you upgrade the Camera Body sometimes.

It is too bad Sigma does not yet offer Flash Ram like the Metz units so you can do it for yourself.

I really like the Sigma 530DG. I bought and returned the canon 580 EX II (it was heavier) mostly it was expensive. I had bought it from Best Buy for like $550. Even Discounted as we noted earlier it is about $$435.

The extra features and power of the Sigma is worth it for me the risk of having to periodically upgrade my flash if I swap bodies again. I will have mine upgraded to at least the current state.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:49 PM   #20
elo

I got it from amazon directly (prime) they'll take it back no problem but they cant guarentee which model I will get if I order again. So if sigma cant help me I will get the 430ex because it is in my price range.