Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:13 PM   #21

I would send it back. I would order the Sigma or the Canon from somewhere else also trustworthy that can make that guarantee. Bummer. Perhaps when you call Sigma after arranging for the return you can order it direct. I have ordered from b&h, Adorama, buydig, and Amazon, newegg for equipment. Good Luck.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...per_Flash.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830995455

Last edited by anthlover; Aug 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:38 AM   #22
elo

I spoke with Sigma and they told me that all I have to do it ship it to them and that they will update the firm wear. All I would need to pay for is the shipping 1 way. an dthey would pay to ship it back to me.

I now have a choice, stick with sigma or just get the 430ex ii. I'll have to think about this.
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:04 AM   #23
Administrator

Or, get a Metz 48 AF-1. They just released a new firmware update for this model in Canon mount towards the end of last month (allowing more features to be controlled via camera settings).

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...ash-units.html

Personally, I'd avoid Sigma flashes. Their reputation is not the best at "reverse engineering" the camera manufacturers protocol for flashes. Keep in mind that they've got to interpret the commands, perform a metering preflash that the camera is going to use (based on reflected light it sees using it's metering sensor), and correctly interpret the commands for duration of the main flash burst needed for proper exposure (correcting for differences in flash tube strength between the Canon model they're trying to emulate, etc.). It's not uncommon for Sigma to want you to send in the Camera and Flash for shipping to Japan just to try and "get it right" for new camera models (IOW, you're helping them to beta test their products with newer cameras). You sometimes see the same type of issues with Sigma's lenses, too.

I've seen forum members send in their Sigma flash more than once with it coming back working worse than it was to begin with (although I haven't noticed anyone doing that with a newer 530 DG yet, I don't doubt that it isn't fully compatible). Perhaps their reputation is a bit better now (and all they'd need to do is upgrade the flash firmware to correct the issues with your camera/flash combination). But, if I had a choice between a Canon and Sigma flash at around the same price, I'd go with the Canon. Between a Metz 48 AF-1 with USB upgradeable firmware and a Sigma, I'd go with the Metz.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:04 AM   #24
elo

Would you recomend Metz 48 AF-1 over the 430ex ii?

And if i were to decide to spend the money is the 580EX ii that much large making it a pain in the butt to carry around?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:32 AM   #25
Administrator

I would go with the Metz (because they have a very good reputation, the flash firmware is USB upgradeable, and the Metz is more powerful compared to the Canon 430 EX II).

You'll have to decide if the 580 EX II is too large or not, as each user is going to have preferences as to size, weight, etc. However, given the smaller Canon body you've got, I'd expect it to be a bit "top heavy".
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:40 AM   #26
elo

Thanks Jim, I think i'll go with Metz, I did want to buy 580ex ii but I think it will be over kill for most of what am going to be doing and I felt sigma was heavy so am sure the 580 will be much heavier
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:07 PM   #27

Just an update. I called Simga they have a repair order form on their web site and you send it back. No special treatment apparently for older versus just bought that I can tell. Company seemed nice enough when I spoke to them again. I sent mine back to them today. They ask for copies of Warranty Card and Receipt though it is not clear that this is necessary for the update, though they asked for it on the phone. They also indicated they thought their was $10 upgrade fee. That is less then ground shipping back so I do not have a problem with it for my almost 1 year old flash. If it was just purchased I might be a little bummed.

Just an update. Flash was upgraded for free (not counting shipping they turned it around in 4 days).

I am still very very happy with Sigma, its power and accuracy. I upgraded only in case I replace my body soon to another Canon. Of course I wish they would take Metz's strategy of the USB update of firmware

Let us know what you think of the Metz 48, particularly its accuracy. I hope it works well for you. The 48 Does fit neatly between the 430EXII and Sigma 530DG in power while being the same price as all three. If I had not also bought a strobe last year I would have probably gone for the Metz 58.

Last edited by anthlover; Aug 26, 2009 at 9:39 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote