Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:10 AM   #1
elo

Default My 530 DG Super first impressions

Well I got my 530 Super via ups yesterday and am loving it. The difference with indoor shoots is night and day. I still donít know how to use the flash properlyÖ but am slowly figuring it out. I was able to bounce the light off my ceilings (14 foot) with no problem, as a matter of fact on manual full power it was to bright.

I did not even bother to read the manual, I think I will search the forms for information on how to use the different settings because it is suppose to have different features but I still donít know how to use them. If anyone knows of any good links to sigma 530 info please share

Say cheese!
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:39 AM   #2

Elo,

In general for non studio use, I would suggest leaving the flash in ETTL mode. The two features you'll want to get up to speed on are:
Flash Exposure Compensation
High Speed Synch - useful for using the flash as fill when outdoors.

You may also want to read up on, and practice using Flash Exposure Lock (FEL) on your camera body. In difficult dynamic range situations your flash can get the exposure wrong, just like the camera can get it's exposure wrong. Using FEL or FEC can help correct issues.

I also suggest shooting in RAW when you do flash work. That way it's much easier to correct when you get a little too much flash output.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:47 AM   #3
elo

I did use Raw last night for the first time.. Wow CS4 and RAW I could not believe how you can manipulate the photo. I tried to fix and over exposure on a JPG no chance.. but to fix it in RAW it was easy!

Thanks for the tips JohnG I will look up the two features.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:00 PM   #4

Reading the manual for info is good too.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:49 PM   #5

Default Reading and Playing are both good

Reading and Playing are both good. As many others will tell you the best way to use the Flash is let it do the work. Put the Flash on ETL/ELII (auto) as appropriate for the Camera and then set the Camera to manual choosing a shutter speed and F stop appropriate for your photo goals. The flash will then choose the correct amount of light for your manual camera settings. Surprisingly it can even do this when the light is bounced. Do not just use the ceiling.... You can bounce off a wall or corner. You can fire straight on when necessary and to get some confidence in your settings. You did not tell us what lens your using. Maybe Start F5.6/ F8 and and 1/200 second and let the flash do the rest. And of course note that since you have a powerful flash you also have the option of bringing the ISO down to 100-200 under many circumstances indoors when you normally would have to be at ISO 400 or better.

Last edited by anthlover; Aug 7, 2009 at 9:53 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:30 PM   #6
elo

I have t1i with kit lens... I taken a few more bouncing of the ceiling some a few have been over exposed but thats easy to fix using the raw file. I tried 2-3 shots directly and the flash was way way way to bright... I need to play with it more so I can get it right.

Do most of you use Photoshop to fix raw files, I keep seeing people type PP but what is pp?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:35 AM   #7

PP stands for Post Processing. So, any photo editing software.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 2:50 PM   #8

I suspect you not getting correct exposure because your not doing as many suggest and running the flash on auto/ETL/ETLII and running the Camera on Manual. The Flash will read your Camera settings on its Manual and adjust the light semi perfectly. If you put the camera on automatic the flash is basically fighting the camera. And as I mentioned above you may need to bring the ISO down which is good because the lower the ISO the lower the noise.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:48 PM   #9
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover View Post
I suspect you not getting correct exposure because your not doing as many suggest and running the flash on auto/ETL/ETLII and running the Camera on Manual. The Flash will read your Camera settings on its Manual and adjust the light semi perfectly. If you put the camera on automatic the flash is basically fighting the camera. And as I mentioned above you may need to bring the ISO down which is good because the lower the ISO the lower the noise.
Am running the flash on Auto now and the camera on M. ETTL is what is says, and it works pretty good when I bounce the flash. But if I aim the flash directly its comes out so bright the picture is nearly all white.

attached are to 2 photos I just tock to show you want I mean about ETTL point the flash strait vs bouncing.

No editing has been done.

Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:38 PM   #10
elo

I just notice that the distance indicator on the flash when pointed forward is always marking the max distance of 60ft. While focusing it will toggle between 40 and 60ft a few times then stop at 60. Every shot is taken at full power.