Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 24, 2009, 7:39 PM   #1

Default Sigma 530 DG Super master to Canon 420EX slave.

After reading online about the different flashes for a week or so, I decided to get the Sigma 530DG Super. One of the reasons I decided to get it was that I read somewhere that I could control my Canon 420ex with it. The flash arrived today, and for the couple hours I have been going nuts trying to figure out what to do to get it to fire the 420ex.

I have the the 530 DG set to ETTL Mode and Channel 1 is selected.

I have the 420ex set to Group A, Channel 1 and the switch is set to "slave". The IR sensor in on the 420ex is blinking when it's powered up, leading me to believe that it, is functioning correctly.

I don't know if what I read is wrong, or if I am doing something wrong, help would be much appreciated... Thanks.
thenetimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:49 AM   #2
Administrator

Checking the Wireless column in this chart, I see the following for most Canon dSLR models (see note 4). So, it looks like you need to go TTL Auto versus ETTL.

"*4: Built-in flash cannot be used. Please set your Master Flash unit to TTL autoflash (E-TTL, E-TTL II autoflash cannot be used) or Manual flash mode."

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english...omp_dg_sup.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:11 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

You didn't mention the camera model you're using. But, you may also want to be aware that Sigma has some compatibility issues between that flash and some Canon models, depending on the serial number of the flash. See this notice for more information:

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english...nfo_081029.htm
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:09 PM   #4

I am using a Canon XTi which from reading that chart should work find with the 530DG S, as for note 4 that shouldn't be related because I want to use the Canon flash as the slave and the 530DG S as the master.

Sigma should be open for business now, so maybe I'll give them a call.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Administrator

You said this, right?

"I have the the 530 DG set to ETTL Mode"

The 530 DG is your Master, right?

The Sigma note 4 says that will not work (setting your Master to E-TTL). Note the "E-TTL, ETTL- II autoflash cannot be used" part.

"...Please set your Master Flash unit to TTL autoflash (E-TTL, E-TTL II autoflash cannot be used)"

Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:58 PM   #6

Jim, thanks I misread that. I'll have to look at the manual and see if setting it to TTL mode is even possible. What a pain. Oh well, maybe I just buy a 2nd 530DGS in a couple weeks and ditch the 420ex on ebay or CL
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:59 PM   #7

Jim from the Table and below that sounds correct two Sigmas can be ETTL? The wireless category in the chart you provided?

"The models for Sigma (SD10), Canon, Pentax D-SLRs, and Nikon (D50, D40, D40x, D2 Series and F6) can utilize an EF-530 DG Super mounted on the camera hotshoe for triggering single or multiple EF-530 DG Super units located away from the camera."
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:17 AM   #8
Administrator

My interpretation is that E-TTL mode on the Sigma flash as a master won't work for wireless with Canon dSLR models, period (you see the wireless column for them referring to note 4).

Is there a TTL mode setting on the flash? Have you tried it to see if it might work that way as a master (which is what note 4 implies)?

"...Please set your Master Flash unit to TTL autoflash (E-TTL, E-TTL II autoflash cannot be used)"

Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:28 AM   #9
Administrator

My bad... It looks like I was looking at the Slave column instead of the wireless column.

I'd ask Sigma if it doesn't work and you've tried all of the options you can think of.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:20 PM   #10

Not your fault your an Angel for looking at that yucky chart, and more then once.

I love my Simga but they could write clearer info. I have no intention of buying a second flash (*but I wanted to clarify for the OP that is new purchase might actually work?). I already have an Alienbee 800 if I want to trigger more light.

Well the only way I could ever see ending up with another flash is if I switch from a Canon body to another Brand. Sometime in the next 6 months I probably will upgrade to a T1i/500D from a Rebel XT.

Last edited by anthlover; Aug 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote