Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:40 PM   #1

Default What ISA do you use indoors when you have a external flash?

I am thinking 400. The location is a banquet hall.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:28 AM   #2

ISO I assume you mean. You do not tell us enough to answer your question. Which Flash, How many people per shot/what distance, how big a space, straight on, bounced, defused, what color walls/ceilings to bounce from (what height/distance) Portrait type shots, how much light is in the room already (can you get a shot without a flash at all (e.g. at ISO 400 F5.6 for example) What Camera, etc.

With a powerful flash you could potentially use ISO 100 and any F stop you please. The best way to use a good flash is to Set the Flash to Automatic and the Camera to Manual setting the ISO, F Stop, and Shutter Speed you desire/need. The only reason if you have the power to go to ISO 100 and not would be if the lighting was very dim and you did not want to totally blast people. But then you could also bounce or Defuse.

When ever possible it is best to try to visit test shoot a location one is unfamiliar with, at least with a Digital Camera you can get instant feed back and make adjustments.

Last edited by anthlover; Aug 30, 2009 at 12:32 AM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:52 PM   #3

Well I had the flash on auto and the camera on P and here was my results with my Nikon 600 ISA was on 200 and I bounced off the ceiling.
Attached Images

Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:44 PM   #4

Looks like you did quite well. Looks like ambient lighting was great enough that it was mostly fill flash. You should always shoot RAW+JPEG so you can adjust things without loosing quality.

Last edited by anthlover; Sep 1, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote