Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 4, 2009, 5:38 PM   #1

Default Dormant flash

I realize this is similar to many problems in the past, but I am a new poster and need help.
I went to use my Sunpak AUTO 422 flash which had not been fired for 9 years. Worked perfectly last time used. With new batteries installed, I heard the familar whine, battery light on and waited to push the Test Button but it never lit up. Cannot get beyond this point.
Is there any hope-- are there replaceable components, did it die of old age or am I missing something ??
CGEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2009, 5:58 PM   #2
Administrator

9 years, huh?

The Capacitor may have an issue. But, if you hear the whine, it sounds like it's probably charging up. I'd double check the batteries to make sure they're inserted correctly and are good. What type are they (alkaline, rechargeable NiMH, lithium)? If you're using cheaper batteries, they may not provide enough current to charge the cap.

I've got some older Sunpaks that still work fine. Have you tried moving the switches back and forth to make sure a bit of oxidation didn't built up under some of the contacts somewhere?

What camera model do you want to use it on? You may be able to find another used model (either the same or something similar) for very little. Let me know the camera and I'll check listings at a few vendors (keh.com, adorama.com, bhphotovideo.com). You may be able to find a similar model used Sunpak with a short term warranty for under $30.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 6:03 PM   #3
Administrator

Sometimes it's a good idea to "reform the capacitor" when a flash hasn't been used a a while (as the capacitor tends to degrade when left unused) for better output.

Basically, I'd set it to manual with good batteries in it and fire the flash around 8 or 10 times, waiting around 30 seconds between each burst. But, if you're never getting to the point that it thinks the capacitor is fully charged, then it may have a more serious issue with the capacitor (if it's not just the batteries causing it).

You could also have a bit of oxidation on the battery contacts preventing a good electrical connection.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 7:26 PM   #4

Default Dormant flash

The Flash was/will be used with an AE1-Program.
Had to clean the battery contacts to get the Batterty Light and whine to function. Using 4 new AA Alkalines.
Would love to fire off 8-10 flashes but can't seem to get the first one ?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 7:44 PM   #5
Administrator

If you can't get it to work by cleaning the contacts, I'd probably just buy another one.

I found one in EX condition at keh.com for $14

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

They also have a short term warranty on their used gear (60 days from invoice date).

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/faq.aspx#aWarrantyPolicy
Old Oct 4, 2009, 7:57 PM   #6
Administrator

Of course, the shipping might cost you almost as much as the flash. ;-)

But, they have very good prices on used gear like that (keep in mind that older non TTL flash models that aren't fully compatible with digital are not very popular anymore). For example, I bought a little Sunpak 222 Auto from them for only $7 a while back, and they even threw in a nice coiled PC Sync cord with it. :-)
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:18 PM   #7

Thanks for your suggestions .
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:31 PM   #8
Administrator

No problem. Let us know how it works out. That's the only 422D for Canon I see right this minute at popular vendors of used gear. Good places to check are the used departments at these vendors:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

http://www.adorama.com

http://www.keh.com (where I see one for $14 now).

They tend to run more on Ebay from what I can see of current listings.

The last couple of Sunpaks I've bought came from keh.com (a little Sunpak 222 Auto for $7) and bhphotovideo.com (a larger Sunpak 333 Auto for $25).
Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:37 PM   #9

Thanks again Jim.

Finally got the sucker working. Funny how that $12.95 shipping makes you try a little harder.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 5:59 AM   #10
Administrator

Super. Was it just some oxidation on the contacts causing it?

Yes, shipping is a bit high if you're only buying one smaller item. But, even with shipping, that's less than I'm seeing them for on Ebay right now.

Since they're located in Georgia (and I'm in Savannah, GA), I get nailed for sales tax, too. They're still my favorite vendor for used gear (great prices and return policy, very conservative grading of gear).