Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:25 PM   #1

Default D90 and EF-500 DG (at my wits end)

I have recently purchased an EF-500 DG Super to use with my D90/Stroboframe VH2000. For some reason it will not fire in TTL modes. I can set it to manual and it will fire but nothing on TTL-BL or TTL. The flash symbol ( lightning bolt) just blinks and the shutter won't fire. Any thoughts? How do I know weather this unit needs to be re-chipped at Sigma? Are there any charts that will show my be serial number?

Thanks in advance.
toothlesrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2009, 6:37 AM   #2
Administrator

You may want to try going into your D90's Custom Settings Menu, change the AF Area to Single, and select the Center AF point and see if that makes it work. Their compatibility chart seems to imply a problem if using anything other than the Center AF point.

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english..._dg_sup.htm#03
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:07 AM   #3

I've tried that as well and no luck. The flas its self won't even zoom. I can zoom my 18-105 in and out and the flash head won't zoom with it.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:24 AM   #4
Administrator

Well... Sigma doesn't have the greatest reputation around for flash compatibility. I've seen issues reported using their flashes with other camera brands from time to time, too (although usually it's just exposure accuracy problems).

You may need to contact them and see if they can rechip it for you, as an older model may not be fully compatible (and from the looks of their compatibility chart, newer models may have some drawbacks, too).

There may be a list of serial numbers somewhere with differences between them. But, I haven't found one anywhere with a quick search.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:12 PM   #5

Stroboframe? If you are using it off camera, do you have the flash adapter, or are you using it with PC cord. (sorry, not familiar with the camera)

If it isn't on the hotshoe, or the correct extension, it will only work in manual.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:52 PM   #6

The 500 and 530DG as do all third party flashes and Lenses have to be kept in sync firmware wise with newer Cameras. You would have to check Sigma's site.

I would test the Camera on the Body. Camera on Manual, Flash on Full Auto. I would also return the Flash if it does not work.

I happen to be very Happy with a my 530DG.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:22 AM   #7

Thanks for the help guys. Yes, I'm using a Nikon off shoe flash adapter. I've tried it on the camera's hot shoe as well. As of yet, there are no firmware updates for the D90 that I'm aware of. It works just fine in manual mode, but none of the TTL modes. I'm going to go ahead and send it back. Oh well, I'll just have to pick up an SB-600. Thanks again guys!