Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1

Default Help please Canon Rebel Flash issue

Hi - I'm new here so I hope I'm posting correctly.

The popup flash on my Canon Rebel XTi stopped firing about a yr ago - it pops up but doesn't fire. Locals would "look" @ for $120 so I finally decided just to get external.

I have a Canon 430ex II ordered and on the way but I just saw this on an older review: "The only downside you’re likely to find is that the EX430 II cannot be used as a master flash, but it can be used as a slave."

So now I'm worried - should the external work without the popup actually firing?

Thanks in advance for your input.
SHILORAVINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:06 PM   #2

Master / slave has nothing to do with normal hot-shoe flash operations. If the hot-shoe and associated circuitry are working properly then the 430 will work just fine. The master/slave thing deals with using multiple flashes. You could have one flash on the shoe and 2 off-shoe flashes. The shoe-mounted flash works as a 'master' and sends signals to the other 2 flashes to fire. What this is saying is the 430 is not capable of SENDING those signals to other flashes, it is only capable of receiving them.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:12 PM   #3

OOOOhhhh! That makes sense now. Thanks so much for explaining that!! Should the flash still make a noise (charging, whirring) after it pops up even if it is only something as simple as a burned out bulb? Because it doesn't
Old Oct 21, 2009, 5:42 PM   #4
NHL

Newer flash charges at a higher frequency which is now inaudible to the ear... Like you I prefer to hear what the flash is doing though but manufacturers advertise this 'quietness' as a feature now

You should still hear the flash zooming though as you change focal lenght (unless they USM this too sooner or later)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:36 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply! I was actually talking about the charging noise of the internal flash on the camera - I do remember hearing that back when it fired. I don't have the 430ex II yet, it's on the way.

I was wondering if there is a way to tell if there are electrical problems with my camera's internal flash without actually opening the 430 and trying it when it gets here. Or paying the $$$ to local shop to ''look'' at it...

Thanks again!
Connie