Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:47 PM   #1

Default Newbie Help: Third-Party Flash w/ Nikon D60

Hey guys,

I am a newbie to DSLR Photography and I needed some help. I just bought the Yong Nuo YN460 flash from eBay. I connected it to Nikon D60. The flash does work and it does go off but for some reason, the shutter speed is still the same as if there was no flash and the results with the flash and without the flash are identical!

This is in both the P mode and the Auto. Basically, the flash fires but the shutter speed is still long so the flash doesn't do anything for the picture.

What am I doing wrong here? Any help will be appreciated!
GadgetAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:05 PM   #2
Administrator

From what I can find out from a quick search about it, that's a strictly manual flash (in other words, it's not smart enough to communicate with the camera you're mounting it on, except for triggering purposes). Here's one reputable hong kong based vendor that stocks it:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...roductid=17203

So, you'll probably need to use manual exposure on the camera, setting ISO speed and aperture to match the power level of the flash for subject distance, adjusting your shutter speed to let the desired amount of ambient light into the image.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
From what I can find out from a quick search about it, that's a strictly manual flash (in other words, it's not smart enough to communicate with the camera you're mounting it on, except for triggering purposes). Here's one reputable hong kong based vendor that stocks it:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...roductid=17203

So, you'll probably need to use manual exposure on the camera, setting ISO speed and aperture to match the power level of the flash for subject distance, adjusting your shutter speed to let the desired amount of ambient light into the image.
Aw that's a shame :-(. I was under the impression that it would be automatic. Which flash do you recommend as an alternative? THanks! Btw, budget is fairly low :-(
GadgetAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:27 PM   #4
Administrator

Low budget and good results are not necessarily compatible. ;-)

If you want to stay on the "safe side", without a lot of work on your part, your best bet is to stick with the camera manufacturer's recommended models (for example, the Nikon SB-600, SB-800, SB-900, etc.) in your case.

If you want similar functionality in a less expensive flash, I'd probably look at the Metz 48 AF-1 or 58 AF-1.

If you don't mind using manual exposure, setting the flash and camera to match for ISO speed and aperture, I'd probably look at something like the Sunpak 383 Super (which has a built in sensor designed to measure reflected light and terminate the flash output when it sees enough reflected light for the aperture and ISO speed you set). On an even tighter budget, check the used market for similar models (Sunpak 333 Auto, etc.). I have a Sunpak 333 Auto and 222 Auto I use from time to time. But, you would have to use manual exposure, setting the flash and camera to match for ISO speed and aperture, selecting an appropriate shutter speed for the amount of ambient light you want to contribute to the exposure with that approach.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i got a sigma 500 super for my 20d, and it worked pretty well. when i upgraded to my 50d, it was no longer compatible. (at least it works as a slave though)

from now on i will stick to the manufacturer's own recommended models. its more money upfront, but better than potentially buying a new flash with every camera.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:53 PM   #6

The Nikon D-60 will also work nicely with the Nikon SB-400, which is about half the cost of the SB-600 flash. It will also work with the Metz-36 flash and the Metz 28CS2 slave flash.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:39 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i got a sigma 500 super for my 20d, and it worked pretty well. when i upgraded to my 50d, it was no longer compatible.
Yep. Although I have seen some recent posts indicating that some Sigma models work OK with newer models (for example, I've seen a few users posting that the new Sigma 530 DG Super does OK), I've seen far too many posts about compatibility and/or exposure issues with Sigma flashes, both here at Steve's and elsewhere. So, they're on my avoid list.

However, I probably would consider the Metz 48 AF-1 or 58 AF-1 flashes, as these are USB upgradeable (i.e., if one doesn't work properly with a new camera model, a user downloadable firmware update will likely fix it at some point), and Metz has a pretty good reputation.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:40 PM   #8

JimC

I see nothing wrong with the Metz flashes. In addition, the SB-400 at around $(US) 100 to $(US)120.00 and the the Metz 36 at Amazon.com very viable choices. Those flashes for the OP are certainly competitors. Am I missing something JimC?

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 26, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:27 AM   #9
Administrator

The 36 series are not USB upgradeable.

So, if a camera manufacturer implements something differently that Metz was not aware of when the flash was manufactured (like Hards80 mentioned with a Sigma flash that worked with an older model camera, but not a newer model camera), then the flash would need to be sent into Metz (or in the case of the U.S., Bogen handles their service) in order to update it's firmware. That would be one approach if you did run into any compatibility issues later.

But, if you go with Metz 48 AF-1 or 58 AF-1, the firmware is user upgradeable via a USB connection (Metz releases downloadable firmware updates for these models periodically for better support of newer cameras), so that you wouldn't need to send the flash in for an update if improvements or changes are made. You can see the firmware updates available for them on this page:

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...1-digital.html
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:23 PM   #10

Thank you very much JimC-

I missed that rather critical point in reading the Metz 36 flash specificalions. That accounts for that flash being at a lower price point.

Great information, thank you very much, JimC!

Sarah Joyce