Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:45 PM   #1

Default I would like your thoughts on the 430 EX II

Hi,

I have a Canon XSi and the f1.8 50mm lens so far is my favorite (I only have the 50 mm and the kit lens).

When the family comes into town for the holidays I'd like to have a bounce flash so I'm not postponing all photoshoots to the afternoons!

Now, I hate asking for information to be spoon fed to me, but if any of you guys can provide some tips or links to websites which comment on the 430 EX II flash, I'd greatly appreciate it. I only ask b/c having a 4 month old around here has greatly limited my ability to mess around online. I've already been over the threads where some of you recommend the 430 EX II, that's where I got the idea for it. I'm fine with the mid 200 price range.

Do you know of any good reviews that explain GN and TTL and all that stuff? Is it relatively straightforward to operate or will I need to study up on the manual for a while. I'm obviously a newbie to photography but I have a decent grip on the manual features of my camera. If you guys could kick me in the right direction I'd be greatful.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by johnandscooter; Nov 11, 2009 at 4:49 PM.
johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:19 PM   #2

John, we are always glad to help out.

Yes, the Canon EX-430 is a perfect flash to pair with your Canon XSi camera. You could get by with the Canon EX-270 flash at a lesser cost, but as you will be using the EX-430 for bounce flashing, it would be the better choice.

The model changes made within the EX-430 models were not huge, so as long as the flash is a Canon EX-430 you will be fine. When you get it, be sure to use good batteries in the EX-430 flash, as flash performance is affected by the level of battery charge.

Keep in mind that when you bounce flash off a standard 8 foot ceiling, the flashed light is going up 8 feet and them coming back down 8 more feet. The true flash range is actually 16 feet. That is why you want as much or sufficient power from your flash when using bounce flash.

Keep in mind as well that it is expected that your are bouncing off a white ceiling. Why is a white ceiling important? Because the color of the ceiling acts just like a filter would on your camera. A green ceiling casts green light, and that make the the people in your photo look as if they were a little sick.

As long as you set the XSi camera for TT-l operation, initially set your EX-430 to full flash output. Set in Auto ISO with the XSi in the "P" for Programed Auto Mode. Take a test photo. With the XSI camera "talking to" the EX-430 flash, they will work together and you should have a good exposure.

If the photo is overexposed,and I doubt it will be, you have two options. (1) Reduce the EX-430 flash output, or to use Flash Compensation on the XSi camera. Then shoot another test photo.

That is all there is to it. Yes, other folks have their own personal Bounce Flash Techniques. However, what I have suggested is the easiest way to use both the XSI and the EX-430 to help you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:34 PM   #3

Thanks for your response! I know you say try it in "P" mode, which is probably a good starting point. But, I can also use the flash in "A" and "M", right?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:43 PM   #4

You can find lots of info on Canon Speedlites here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=1866
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:00 PM   #5

Oh yeah, lots of good info there. Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:03 PM   #6

Yes, John-

Of course, you can use "P," "A," or "M." i started you in "P" to make things easier for you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:16 PM   #7
Super Moderator

the 430 EX is more than powerful enough for most needs. it both bounces and swivels so you can use it for bounce flash in both landscape and portrait orientations. this is a very popular flashgun for the canon system for a reason. great value.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...king-me-2.html

Jim and John's posts are quite helpful in this thread.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:35 AM   #8

... just placed my order last night! Thanks for the pointers guys!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:56 AM   #9

The 270 EX is new and may not be supported by the camera if it has older firmware. You may need to update the firmware to 1.10.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote