Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:43 AM   #1

Default FZ35 flash mode for External Slave flash

I've ordered my FZ35 and it should be here in a day or two. I'm also getting a Slave flash that has 4 trigger modes. There are several flash modes on the FZ35 plus the Red-Eye reduction mode. Does anyone know which is the correct timing trigger for these modes.

Also, Does the Camera use any part of the flash in the AutoWhileBalance mode.

Do the P&S cameras really adjust the power level in these small built in flash units to match the camera settings. The External flash I have contains 8 power levels so is there a table I can use to calculate the exposure settings. This flash is VERY similar to the 580ex. I would also plan on using it in bounce mode to get away from the direct on.

Any one want to recommend some good reading on Flash Photography. My kids are always looking for a good book to get me for Xmas.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2009, 11:50 PM   #2

Default FZ35 External Flash

It seem strange that no one could add any information to this question. maybe I've worn out my welcome on this web site.

Anyway, I received the FZ35 Camera and the External flash unit so I'll just answer my own question.

The unit I got is a Zekios External Flash & Handle Grip. It attaches to the bottom of the Camera and provides a left hand hold for the entire assembly. The Handle contains the trigger and the extra flash mounts to a hot shoe on top of the handle. Of course the unit can be mounted to a tripod and placed in a much better location or angle. The handle contains settings for up to 5 different trigger pules.

Once the camera is set to "Flash" mode, I tested the setup and it functions great on the 2nd trigger. There is still much testing to do.
The little flash only contains "On/OFF" switch and a trigger switch to discharge the unit. My larger 680E will also trigger from the handle in manual mode. The advantage of that flash is the abilility to zoom, swivel, tilt, and adjust the power levels to 7 different values. I will test all of it to see how far it can be from the Camera and still trigger.

I'm very happy with the FZ35 in the limited testing that I have done. From all of the reviews and posts and images that I had looked at before, I was expecting much more noise at all levels above ISO 200. I'm happy to say that such noise is not a given. It totally depends on what you're shooting and the light conditions. I've gotten very good images even at ISO 400 and 800. ISO 1600 appears to not be usable at high resolution.

My only compaint so far is that the Zoom switch on the trigger is just a little touchy for me. It Zooms way to fast. Yes it is supposed to have two speeds, and yes it does but it is hard to get the slow speed and use the for fine tuning where you want to set the zoom.

This camera has soooooo many setable features I'm still working through them, but I really like the ones that I have had to learn and use. I especially like the ability to set a very small focus point in the center. My XSi has a center focus target but it is twice the size as the one on my F35.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 2:47 PM   #3

trigger-

The Zekios Slave Flash is very under powered, and it is often DOA. My first one was, and the second unit just did not have enough power.

I have two Slave Flashes, the Metz 28 and the DigiSlave-3000, and they perform very will. A you have to do is to set the Camera Mode Selector to "P", set Auto ISO, select the FZ-35's flash to Flash On, Power up the Slave Flash and take your photo.

Your FZ-35 will analyze the photo environment lighting and set the ISO accordingly. I will close with the statement that I have some serious qualms about that Zekios Slave Flash.

Have a nice day and please remember my name is Sarah, NOT SUSAN!!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:07 PM   #4

Sarah,... Thanks for the information. I guess I've been lucky with each of my ZEIKOS units as both of them seem to work perfectly. The 680ex I've tested many times on my XSi and it really has lots of power. It also has responded to all controls from the XSi, power level, zoom, etc, no matter if I use it direct on, or bounced. The very small flash that comes with the Zeikos remote trigger handle is about twice the power of the built in flash, but my next task is to try and qualify that number.

I tested the remote flash both attached to the base of the FZ35 and then I put it on a tripod and moved it around. It works perfect up to a distance of 25' and triggered even when I used it for bounce off the ceiling. After 25' it may just have been that the angle was off and the unit was actually behind my camera and 25' to the far left.

Now my next problem is to try and make up a distance chart that will give me a better chance to set the correct aperature,... since the camera isn't going to do it. I believe I can also use this flash setup when I mount the large Zeikos to my XSi and add some fill in flash from a different angle,.. like 15' to the side of the subject.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:56 AM   #5

trigger-

The only Zeikos Slave Flash that I was familiar with was the less than $20 unit. And my experience with that has not been good. So you must be discussing another Zeikos flash, perhaps the 680? Will it operate as a slave? I just did some more research and there is a grip that the Zeikos Slave Flash is supposed to be mounted on. And I am not sure, but it appears that the Zeikos 680 can be mounted on that grip, so that the grip triggers the Zeikos 680 flash, giving you much more light.

I just ordered a Panasonic FZ-35 myself, so having a good slave flash will be essential. Do you feel that the Zeikos brand is dependable? I ordered the Zeikos Slave Flash with the grip handle. If that works well, I will also order the Model 680 flash as well. I will be interested to know how you feel about Zeikos, trigger.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:23 PM   #6

Hi Sarah,

Glad to hear your getting a FZ 35. Mine should arrive sometime next week. Hope you will keep us apprised as to your opinions and suggestions on the new camera.

Regards,

Art
wlpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:51 PM   #7

Art-

I have to admit to a sudden change of course, as I was about to order the FZ-35, to answer a question I was researching the new M4/3 (micro four thirds) cameras and I became fascinated by them. To make a long story short instead of ordering the Panasonic FZ-35, I ended up ordering the Panasonic G-1 camera.

Having been a digital camera instructor for the last 15 years and having owned my share of super zoo, and bridge cameras, I will always be available to answer any questions.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:12 AM   #8

Default FZ35 flash mode for external slave flash

Sarah,... Wow,... you got really close to getting the FZ35,.. but I'm confident you will be VERY happy with the G1. I had not even read about the G1 when I mentioned to you in another post that I thought the new cameras would soon be eating at the DSLR market by coming out with a Camera that did not need all the complexity of the internal mirror system. It seems that it is happening very fast, and I expect that in 2010 it will grow in great numbers.

Since the G1 has a hot shoe and supports external flash, I would think you might stick with the Canon 580ex, except for the expense. TheZeikos 680ex has most of the features of the 580ex but not all but it costs much less. I think I paid about $130 on eBay. They do have their own web site if you are interested.

My current problem is not the lack of power but the knowledge on how to control the power,..i.e., getting the exposure settings correct for the FZ35. It is all done manually.

In looking at the G1,.. it has many of the same control features as the FZ35 and other Panasonic camera. They are dozens of great features that I have not found on Canon camera. Two that I really like are the Manual mode, and the ability to set a very small target for AutoFocus. In Manual mode I can set both the aperature and the shutter speed and with "Auto ISO" turned on, the exposure is corrected by changing the ISO.

Have fun with you G1.

Last edited by trigger1937; Dec 1, 2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:52 AM   #9

tigger-

Yes, I am also looking forward to exploring the Panasonic G-1. I have several friends who purchased the G-1 and really love it. In addition, I believe that my Olympus Fl-36 flash will operate perfectly on the G-1. I will keep you posted. The Camera should arrive on Friday (04 December) or Saturday (05 December).

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:48 PM   #10

Sarah,

Did you get a red one?

Art
wlpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote