Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:17 PM   #1

Default SB 16 for a D90

Will a Nikon SB 16 bounce flash work with a Nikon D90?
OldGrayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:35 AM   #2
Administrator

It should work OK in non-TTL Auto (where you shoot in manual exposure and set the flash and camera to match for aperture and iso speed), or manual power modes.

But, it's not compatible with newer camera models in it's TTL Auto mode (where the camera and flash communicate with each other for exposure purposes). You'll need a newer flash model for that (for example, a Nikon SB-400, SB-600, SB-800, or SB-900).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:38 PM   #3

It doesn't look like those units have the AUX mini flash part that the SB 16 has (the eye catch light). Do you know of any flash units that will provide this? I really like using the bounce flash, since then the pictures don't look like they have been "flashed".
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:38 AM   #4
Administrator

Metz 58 AF-1. The 58 AF-1 also has the benefit of USB upgradeable firmware (so that if they have compatibility with a newer camera model, they can release newer firmware that you can download and install via a USB port).

In addition, it supports High Speed Sync (a.k.a., FP mode, which stands for Focal Plane shutter mode). That allows you to use the flash at sync speeds higher than the camera's x-sync speed (1/200 second with your D90), making it more practical for fill flash outdoors at wider aperture settings.

It runs around $400 right now (I'm seeing listings for it at $399.95 at reputable vendors).

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...formation.html

But, I'd suggest simply using a bounce card with a flash that doesn't have a separate light in the front. The idea is that the card reflects some of the light forward when the flash is pointed towards the ceiling for bouncing:

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

You'll find a number of similar light modifiers around.

If I were looking for a decent flash for a D90, I'd probably lean towards the SB-600.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:21 AM   #5

I decided on a Nissin Di866 flash.
I have been using it for a while and it works great. I am very pleased with it.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:46 AM   #6

Good choice! I have four of them and the ease of use and versatility of this flash is awesome. The rotating menu screen is a nice plus as well.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote