Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:45 PM   #1

Default Flash for Canon T1i

I'm looking to purchase a flash for My T1i. It is a new purchase and love the camera outside and inside using available light but don't like using the camera's own flash. I was leaning to a Metz 48 AF-1 and then I read this review on the T1i warning against using third party flashes. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca.../look-and-feel

"Canon Speedlites also allow you to use the flash at any shutter speeds, while third party flashes are limited to 1/200 sec. You may also need to set the exposure settings on third party flashes manually. Finally, do note that you cannot use the flash with live view when using a third party flash."

Can anyone let me know if this is true for the Metz 48 AF-1?
Dresser100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:29 PM   #2

I have it and it works just find. I just did the firmware upgrade, it was a breeze. It is also made in Germany. Very well made flash.

PS on my T1i in full manual, I can have it at any shutter speed also.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 5, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:45 PM   #3

Just did a quick test, I can also chose any shutter speed with the metz in Tv mode also.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:04 PM   #4

I like playing around with the camera and its features. However, my wife prefers the auto mode. How well will this flash work with the camera in full auto?
Dresser100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:56 PM   #5

what ever the auto tells the flash to do, it does it. There is no issues with the metz and the t1i.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresser100 View Post
However, my wife prefers the auto mode. How well will this flash work with the camera in full auto?
The flash should do as well as any other TTL flash. But you have to realize, in full auto mode - with or without flash - you can end up with a poor picture in some situations. Cameras still aren't advanced enough to get it right all the time. So there will be times when even the best flash gives poor results - just like any DSLR out there in full auto mode can give bad results if the shooting situation requires more input from the photographer.

So, it's just a matter of setting expectations - whether canon flash or metz, be aware that leaving the camera in full auto will not always yield good results.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:32 PM   #7

PS

I forgot with the metz 48 you will need to select ettl hss mode when using shutter speed faster then 1/200. It is similar to what the 430 ex ii does.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:27 PM   #8

Metz 48 AF-1 is a good value and costs $50 less than the Canon 430EX II.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:10 AM   #9
Administrator

The Metz 48 AF-1 and 58 AF-1 are somewhat unique among third party flashes, in that they have USB upgradeable firmware.

That way, if a compatibility problem occurs with a newer camera model, Metz may come out with a fix to it via new Firmware, versus you needing to send your flash back to the manufacturer for an update (as is often the case with some third party flash models when compatibility issues occur).

If you go that route (Metz 48 AF-1), I'd make sure to download the latest firmware update and install it. You'll find the current firmware available for it on this page:

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...1-digital.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote