Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:07 AM   #11

AAAARGH.

i asked the guy at the camera shop 3 times if it works wirelessly without ANYTHING with my 500D!

so i need a wireless trigger now?

thanks for the info, jim...
R3SP3CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:25 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Yep, only the 7D can do remote flash without something additional. You could get another flash that has the ability to send the wireless signal as that might not be much more than the trigger..... Jim, do you know which non Canon units do that as I only use the Canon options (580 and 580II do it fine but not cheap).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:50 AM   #13
Administrator

Only the 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX, and ST-E2 speedlite transmitter can act as the master from what I can see.

See the article I linked to discussing wireless here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=2966
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:52 AM   #14
Super Moderator

I was thinking of one of the Metz or the top end Sigma possibly as I was pretty sure the top Sigma did but not at my desk to spend the time to check.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:03 AM   #15
Administrator

From what I can tell reading through the Metz User Manuals, the 58 AF-1 may be able to act as a master (but, not the 48 AF-1). But, I'd find someone that's used that flash as a Master on a specific camera model before going that route.

In the Sigma lineup, it looks like the 530 DG Super (but, not the non-Super models) can act as a master. I'd probably avoid most other Sigma flashes though, even though the older 500 DG Super can also act as a master (as they have been known to have compatibility issues with newer camera models). I'd probably find someone that's tested the 530 DG Super one on a Canon 500D to make sure it would work OK before going that route, too.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:06 AM   #16

hey, guys.

thanks for you wisdom and time. appreciated.

as i am a newbie on to this,

what is the most cost efficient way of firing this metz 48 or any flash for my 500D off camera wireless?

thanks again,
calvin
R3SP3CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:15 AM   #17
Administrator

That depends on what you want to do.

The wireless flash protocol used by Canon is a relatively sophisticated signaling system that lets the external flash do things like fire a metering preflash and communicate with the camera (so that the flash knows camera settings, etc.).

A Canon ST-E2 is probably your best bet for controlling your Metz 48 AF-1 that way if you don't want or need another flash.

But, there are other ways to approach it. For example, using Radio Triggers or "digital aware" Optical Slaves designed to ignore a metering preflash. Those types of solutions would require the use of manual power settings on the flash, triggering it via a receiver located with the flash (versus using the built in slave function of the flash, which is designed to work with the proprietary Canon Wireless Triggering protocols).

Here's one example of an inexpensive solution designed to trigger a remote flash.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...4&cat=0&page=1

But, you'd need to use manual exposure with manual power settings on the flash going that route. So, it's really a waste of the functionality built into a Flash like the Metz 48 AF-1.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:31 AM   #18
Administrator

P.S.

There are some radio trigger systems designed to pass the full communications from the camera's hotshoe to a remote flash (so, that it works the same way it would when attached to the camera). Pocket Wizards are popular for that purpose.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/products...tter_receiver/

But, you'd probably be looking at a >$300 solution going that route (by the time you buy a transmitter and receiver) from what I can see of current prices.

So, it would probably be cheaper to get a Canon ST-E2 instead (around $220 right now), unless you need the flexibility and range of a radio based system.

If you're just looking for a simple studio setup, then I'd probably get cheaper flashes with manual power settings to use that way (instead of something like a Metz 48 AF-1), going with a less expensive radio trigger system. You could probably get a cheap wireless trigger (like the Cactus V4 system mentioned) and an inexpensive flash for under $100 if you don't mind using manual exposure and power settings, which you may want to do in a studio environment anyway.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Yep, only the 7D can do remote flash without something additional. You could get another flash that has the ability to send the wireless signal as that might not be much more than the trigger..... Jim, do you know which non Canon units do that as I only use the Canon options (580 and 580II do it fine but not cheap).
Mark I think the new T2i can do this as well now or I'm mistaken?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:30 AM   #20

I don't think the T2i can do that without a master flash like the 580EX II or the ST-E2 transmitter.

I bought the Cactus V4 radio trigger for $40. It's an inexpensive way to get into off-camera flash shooting. The hard part is they don't transmit E-TTL or TTL info so one has to learn how to shoot in manual.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote