Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 5, 2002, 12:56 AM   #1

Default ? about 54MZ-3 slave feature

While on vacation I was able to play around with a friend's Nikon SB-26 flash head in addition to my Metz 54MZ-3. But when I attempted to use my Metz as a slave (using the SB-26 as the main flash), the 54MZ-3 just wouldn't fire. I used the built-in flash on my E-10, and the Metz fired flawlesly. What could it be that prevented the Metz from being triggered by the Nikon? I'm back from vacation and no longer have the SB-26 to play with, but this has left me puzzled...
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2002, 6:33 AM   #2
NHL

Default Didn't fire... or fired too soon ?

You didn't say which camera the SB-26 flash head was mounted on; however some newer digicams does a pre-flash and can fool the slave into triggering too soon. ie when the main flash come your Metz is charging... The E-10 doesn't pre-flash. Cameras that use the Sony's CCD usually do (F707, CP5000, CP5700, and D7(i))

BTW, Some wireless flashes also send control codes along with the flash pulses to implement the TTL function on remote slaves... (ie they are just too quick for you to see)

[Edited on 8-5-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 10:38 AM   #3

Default didn't fire at all

The SB-26 was mounted on my E-10 while I had the 54MZ-3 remotely held, but with its light sensor facing the SB-26. It was no more than 8ft away, the same distance at which it was triggered by the built-in flash. Weird...

Actually the E-10 does pre-flash, even using the FL-40. But for some reason with the 54MZ-3 it doesn't pre-flash (or does it so fast it's unperceptible). I notice this when taking pictures of my cats... they no longer come out with their eyes closed

[Edited on 8-5-2002 by marokero]
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 11:56 AM   #4
NHL

Try to trigger the 54MZ-3 with the SB-26 manually (ie hit the fire button on the flash) next time when you get hold of one. It's definetly weird, but like I said, there's lot more to flash than just lighting the subject nowaday and most manufacturers implement the TTL wireless function in the slaves by sending control code before (to turn on the slave) and after (to turn off the slave) the main flash pulse to implement the camera TTL function!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote