Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:34 PM   #1

Default Pentax K10D, KM + Vivitar 285 HV

I have two digital camera bodies, the K10D and the KM (K2000). I have a Pentax 360 flash and a 25 year old Vivitar 285 HV flash.

I do not use the 285 HV on the hot shoe of either body for fear of frying the circuitry of the cameras.

But I am thinking of getting a Gorilla tripod and a flash mount for the top of the Gorilla (do they exist ?) and attaching the 285 HV to the Gorilla, then using the 360 as a master flash and the Vivitar 285 HV would be it's slave.

Two issues:

• Would the Pentax 360 or the internal flashes of the K10D and KM be able to control the older 285 HV as a remote slave ?

• I know it would be unwise to attach the 285 HV to the hot shoes of either digital camera. But although I am not very knowledgeable about electroinics I would think the Vivitar 285 HV would pose no danger of frying the K10D/KM circuitry if they were mounted on a remote wireless item such as a Gorilla pod . Am I correct ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:39 PM   #2

The Viv 285 would need to have a remote trigger setup to work as a slave flash with the K10D, IIRC, as the camera doesn't have a PC sync socket. You might want to check the trigger voltage (see the first thread for how). I use an older 285 (not HV) with my *istD, and can operate it either on the hotshoe or via the sync cord when on a flash bracket. Camera has to be set manually for this use, and the flash operates either automatically or manually.
To use the 285 as a slave, you would need to mount it on a wireless trigger receiver. If you use the 360 as the master, you would probably want to have it in manual mode. The metering pre-flash might trigger the wireless receiver otherwise, and even if not, the metering would be off as the pre-flash would not be able to account for the added light of the slave. Fun, huh?
Since I can use my 285 on camera, that is what I usually do, and use the dedicated flash as a slave, as that function is built-in to it. Requires setting everything up in manual, though.
Place called Gadget Infinity has wireless triggers and such. a shoe mount for tripods can be found most places under Flash Accessories.
brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
The Viv 285 would need to have a remote trigger setup to work as a slave flash with the K10D, IIRC, as the camera doesn't have a PC sync socket. You might want to check the trigger voltage (see the first thread for how). I use an older 285 (not HV) with my *istD, and can operate it either on the hotshoe or via the sync cord when on a flash bracket. Camera has to be set manually for this use, and the flash operates either automatically or manually.
To use the 285 as a slave, you would need to mount it on a wireless trigger receiver. If you use the 360 as the master, you would probably want to have it in manual mode. The metering pre-flash might trigger the wireless receiver otherwise, and even if not, the metering would be off as the pre-flash would not be able to account for the added light of the slave. Fun, huh?
Since I can use my 285 on camera, that is what I usually do, and use the dedicated flash as a slave, as that function is built-in to it. Requires setting everything up in manual, though.
Place called Gadget Infinity has wireless triggers and such. a shoe mount for tripods can be found most places under Flash Accessories.
brian
Thanks, Brian for all the detailed info. As you mentioned, mine is the HV (High Voltage) and I don't dare use it as the master on my K10D or KM. But as a slave as you have indicated I should think about it and look at wireless triggers. Thanks again....lot's of stuff to ponder.

Les
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:27 AM   #4
Administrator

I'd measure it using a high impedence volt meter (just measure it between the center pin and the outside contacts on the flash foot with it turned on). Not all of the 285HV flashes have a high trigger voltage (although all of the earlier models like the 283 usually do). It's my understanding that the earlier non HV models of the 285 are usually the ones with a very high trigger voltage. IOW, I wouldn't assume it's high without measuring it to find out.

You'll see links to how to measure it in this post:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...l-cameras.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'd measure it using a high impedence volt meter (just measure it between the center pin and the outside contacts on the flash foot with it turned on). Not all of the 285HV flashes have a high trigger voltage (although all of the earlier models like the 283 usually do). It's my understanding that the earlier non HV models of the 285 are usually the ones with a very high trigger voltage. IOW, I wouldn't assume it's high without measuring it to find out.

You'll see links to how to measure it in this post:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...l-cameras.html

Thanks Jim, I'll check it out.
Les