Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:40 AM   #11

Luke-

What you are referring to is called a bounce flash technique. Preferrably the flash head on the external flash is pointed at an angle, anywhere from 60 to 80 degrees. It is less than 90 degrees because you also want some light to spill forward and help in lighting your subject. Extending a bounce card from the flash head, wheich the Nissin 622 has will add "catch lights" to your subject's eyes, that Mark mentioned.

The amount of tilt of the flash head on your external flash is not fixed at one certain angle. The height of the ceiling can require you to vary the flash head angle for example. Also, thank Goodness, most ceilings are white, and that makes them work perfectly for bounce flash. However, is the ceiling is not white, or off white, the color of the ceiling will act just like a colored filter on your lens. Light green ceilings make people take on a greenish tint, which is not good. So, like the tilt of the flash head you have to make another judgement call when checking the ceiling color in a room.

As to whether you should choose the Vivitar or the Nissin Flash, that is your call. I have used them both and I feel that the Nissin flash is made better than the Vivitar. Look at them both and make a judgement call.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:28 AM   #12

Hi Nepali how'r you doin?

Thanks for the review. I ordered the same flash and it's coming after tomorrow. I'm excited. I'm also a newbie like you.

I wonder if you already bought a TTL based trigger for your flash for off camera flash shoots? If you did, what is it and how much?

thanks,

vincent
vinmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmunoz View Post
Hi Nepali how'r you doin?

Thanks for the review. I ordered the same flash and it's coming after tomorrow. I'm excited. I'm also a newbie like you.

I wonder if you already bought a TTL based trigger for your flash for off camera flash shoots? If you did, what is it and how much?

thanks,

vincent
Awesome, let us know how it works out for you. As for a TTL based-trigger, I do not have anything like that yet. I have just been using it either on-camera or off-camera in slave mode.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:39 PM   #14

Guyz,

My nissin Di622 arrived today but the built-in diffuser has cracks? Do i have to return it? is the built-in diffuser important or i have to buy a different diffuser? The flash seems to work good though.

Please advise...

thanks..

vinz
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:41 PM   #15

I would return it. I use a sto fen diffuser. But you may not always have it handy. So the built in one would help out.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:53 PM   #16

thanks....
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:45 AM   #17

This Flash doesn't look to be that good. Read a comparison review here http://talkinimages.com/sunpak-pz42x-or-nissin-di622/ The zoom feature seems to have serious limitations in the manual mode apart from the noise while zooming.

Any ideas on this issue?

JC
johncrusade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:59 PM   #18

That is why the improved it with the mkII version.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
That is why the improved it with the mkII version.
Thx for the reply,

But then we are looking at increased costs as well. For the equivalent pricing, I am guessing Sunpak PZ42X would be better.

Regards,
JC
johncrusade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 5:53 AM   #20
NHL

It depends how you look at it...

Is the extra wireless feature critical to you (and the higher GN)?
-> In the future as you expand your skill would multiple flash heads be of interest as the Nissin can be setup as a TTL slave to a master flash, whereas the Sunpak can not