Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:35 PM   #1

Default External flash or diffuser for the canon dslr xsi?

Just wondering which of the 2 in the subject line is worth getting for the canon xsi? If the external flash is the way to go, which brand and type do you recommend for this camera?

Thx
bulls3y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:41 PM   #2

A good flash will help out the xsi in low light. The canon ex 420 II is a good option, in you want to save a little bit and have more range the mezt 48 AF1 is just as good as the canon, and you can do firmware updates so it can be used with newer models.

If you really want to save some money the nissin DI622 seems to be a pretty nice flash there is a thread about it.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...22-review.html

I use sto fen defuser on my flash. They are not that expensive. Will help soften the light.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
A good flash will help out the xsi in low light. The canon ex 420 II is a good option, in you want to save a little bit and have more range the mezt 48 AF1 is just as good as the canon, and you can do firmware updates so it can be used with newer models.

If you really want to save some money the nissin DI622 seems to be a pretty nice flash there is a thread about it.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...22-review.html

I use sto fen defuser on my flash. They are not that expensive. Will help soften the light.

Thanks for that, looks like a good choice for someone on a budget on amateur like me

Cheers
bulls3y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:06 PM   #4

Really the effectiveness of any diffuser is directly related to its size so no attempt to diffuse the built in flash will be terribly successful simply there simply isn't enough physical space to create a large diffuser. Even a diffuser for a hot shoe mounted external flash is space limited. If, however the external flash is remoted from the camera then the space limitation is largely removed and there are numerous commercial and DIY diffuser/reflectors that are effective.

Actually the most effective use of a sto-fen type diffuser, I think, is what JohnG does, a sto-fen with the flash in bounce mode with the diffuser. In essence he's creating a diffused bare bulb which provides bounce flash plus direct light to fill shadows from the bounce.

Here is a thread which show the lack of effectiveness of small diffusers: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...diffusers.html

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
, a sto-fen with the flash in bounce mode with the diffuser. In essence he's creating a diffused bare bulb which provides bounce flash plus direct light to fill shadows from the bounce.
Thanks A.C. Yep - that's exactly how the stofen is supposed to be used. My kit is bulky enough without getting into larger setups. I've also found that even when I can't bounce, I get better results leaving the flash at 45 degrees (with the omnibounce). Realize though - when you bounce and diffuse you lose light. So be very, very careful about buying a flash that won't have enough power.

So, buy a decent external flash in the power neighborhood at least of the 430exII and splurge $20 on a stofen.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote