Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:46 PM   #1

Default External Flash on P&S

I have been reading few threads here and rarely see people using external Flash on P&S.

Apart from the portability if I understand correctly in a P&S the images would be overexposed due to the external flash if Manual mode is not used?
Or is it that the P&S can no way take a good image with external flash?

just noticed, the price aint that low, almost costs equivalent to entry level p&S

Last edited by archish; Apr 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM.
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:38 PM   #2

It depends on the P&S camera. Some seems to work better with an external flash than others. My F40 underexposes for some reason in auto. It is easier if your P&S has manual modes.

You can always build your own external unit cheaply. The optical slave was around $15. The flash can be found for $15 on eBay.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:30 PM   #3

There are P&S cameras which are as advanced as DSLRs, made to use the same dedicated flashes. Others are not. If the camera has a hotshoe, or PC sync socket, it will likely do quite well.

Dr Spock: My guess as to underexposure would be that your flash is triggering on reflected light, and firing as the shutter is closing. Maybe. You might try a reflector on the optical trigger, which would pick up direct light from camera flash. Just a guess based on the photo.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:14 PM   #4

canon G11, panasonic LX3 or the leica d lux 4 just to name a few of the advance point and shoots with hotshoes
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:24 PM   #5

The attached photo was taken from a distance of 28 feet, using Panasonic FZ-28 camera equipped with a Metz 28cs slave flash. The FZ-28 has no hot shoe, therefore the slave flash was used to increase the camera's flash range.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:14 AM   #6

Thanks for the photo Sarah. How well is the flash controllable in indoor group shots? Does it overexpose?
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:06 PM   #7

I really do not think that a P+S camera is well suited for group shots. The best camera for large groups is a DSLR equipped with a powerful electronic flash topped with a circular diffuser like Gary Fong's Light Sphere. You need very broad, even lighting and that is one of the best ways to get it.

On the Metz CS28 the flash output is adjusted by toggling the manual output switch.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote