Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:16 PM   #1

Default Budget flash

Hi

i know theres plenty of threads about budget flashes, but cant read much about Vivitar. As obvious I dont have money to buy original Canon unit or Metz, so I have to stick to cheap one now.

Im trying to decide between Vivitar DF-383 and Nissin Di622, both about the same price. I found out that Vivitar has higher guide number and has LCD display, which I dont know if thats any advantage at all.

It will be mounted on Canon 30D camera for shooting off the camera (at least for now)

Any hint is much appreciated.

Thank you
Luke.k1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:21 PM   #2

The DI622 seem to be a very good flash for the money. Not sure how the vivitar is.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...22-review.html
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:23 PM   #3

I know ive read the review but the thing is cant find many of Vivitar. I guess that means something too hehe

Vivitar's specs: http://www.vivitar.com/products/177/...c%20Sheet.jpeg
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:31 PM   #4

I am not sure, but I think bh and adorama have some user reviews on the vivitar.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:46 AM   #5

is there any advantage of the LCD display? apart from showing you the distance it will flash to? any advantage of fully automatic mode on the flash?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:29 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke.k1983 View Post
I know ive read the review but the thing is cant find many of Vivitar. I guess that means something too hehe

Vivitar's specs: http://www.vivitar.com/products/177/...c%20Sheet.jpeg
Here's a review from a Canon user.

http://jakeoconnell.blogspot.com/200...83-review.html

He also has a video review of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-lKdiAiMs
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:11 AM   #7

Ive read and seen both reviews on Nissin and Vivitar and still cant find the right answer. Is there an advantage in having LCD screen on the flash showing the distance? A can understand full manual setting i guess, which makes me going more towards vivitar even though Nissin seems a better unit. I cant decide at all
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:21 PM   #8

luke it all comes down to this:what do you expect from the flash? Do you want a full TTL automatic operation? Or do you want toa) input the flash power setting, (b) the focus distance, and (c) the camera's ISO setting? That is one of the things that you do with the LCD screen on the Vivitar 383.

Earlier I tried to do a little lesson for you on bounce flash in another thread, I hope that helped as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:41 PM   #9

The Vivitar flash, from the pictures I have seen, looks exactly like the Digital Concepts, which looks exactly like the Bower flash of the same type. All seem to have the same specs, and are similarly priced.
I picked up the DC 952AF for my Pentax, and find that it works pretty well, but doesn't have the more advanced features of the Pentax AF360 or AF540, such as high speed sync. It can be used as a wireless slave, but doesn't communicate with the camera, and triggers on pre-flash, so can only be used with camera in manual.
None of this was unexpected.
The LCD provides more info and more control when using the flash manually or as a slave.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:45 AM   #10

thanks everyone, your help is much appreciated!

BUT hehe

Have a last "question". I almost decided to go for Vivitar for the functions, even though Nissin is probably better build. It is also stronger. Unfortunately, just before last decision, i read both manuals and found out few things i need to confirm with someone that knows that:

Nissin supports 2nd sync only with Nikon, not Canon which I have
Vivitar switches to power saving after 3 minutes and you have to press button on it, not just shutter
Nissin has zoom from 24-105mm whereas Vivitar 24-85mm. What would be the difference?

thank you

luke