Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:33 PM   #1

Default Experience with Sigma EF 530 DG Super E-TTL II Flash?

For Canon.. I'm looking into an external flash, my brother n law has this flash, I've tried it and it seems great, is this comparable to the 580 from canon or the likes? I may be shooting their wedding here in the next few months and wouldn't mind having it for indoor pictures as the built in flash is junk.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:03 PM   #2

If you were looking at the 530 in the 300+ price range, you may be better off with the canon 580, metz 58 or the nissin di866. They all have better range then the 530. The nissin and metz both have a filler flash.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you were looking at the 530 in the 300+ price range, you may be better off with the canon 580, metz 58 or the nissin di866. They all have better range then the 530. The nissin and metz both have a filler flash.
I'm 99% sure the sigma has fill flash and it's $219, I believe the range at max power is 175 feet (is what my BNL said).

Which one of those bikes is yours?

Last edited by ruthless; Apr 12, 2010 at 9:07 PM. Reason: Question:
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:16 PM   #4

Both are mine,

The sigma does nor have a filler flash, just a ir emitter that helps get the range. The sigma is rated at 53m, the canon and metz at 58, and the nissin at 60m. For the flashes that are in the +50m range, the sigma falls a bit behind. And from personal experience the sigma underexpose allot, and are not as easy to use. That is why I got the metz when I switch over form my eos 1. Sigma flashes did not seem to perform as well as the canon or metz 48 instead flashes. The metz has 48m vs 52m with the sigma, but overall better flash performance with the metz.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:31 PM   #5

Here are some photos of my 4 bikes, I have 2 on the US side of the pond, and 2 on European side of the pond.
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:36 PM   #6

NIce bikes! Well, you answered exactly how I was expecting, thanks for the input.. so now the age old M or C flash, I'll cross that bridge when I get there hehe. Thanks Shoturtle.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:41 PM   #7

Add the nissin into the mix, the di622 is only 150 dollars with a range of 44m for flashes in the 200 dollar range with the metz 48 and canon 430 EXII. And it seems to be a pretty good flash if you do not need to reach out past 50m

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...22-review.html
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Add the nissin into the mix, the di622 is only 150 dollars with a range of 44m for flashes in the 200 dollar range with the metz 48 and canon 430 EXII. And it seems to be a pretty good flash if you do not need to reach out past 50m

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...22-review.html
While I like to save money, it's not as important as having something that will give me some longevity and oh I forgot to mention, do these flashes have the ability to control slaves?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:58 PM   #9

Then you will need to look at the canon 580 or the Metz 58 or the nissin di822. The 48, 430, and 622 will not control slaves. The nissin is very popular in japan, so I would imagine it is a very good flash as well. Like the metz 58 it does have a usb port for firmware upgrades.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Then you will need to look at the canon 580 or the Metz 58 or the nissin di822. The 48, 430, and 622 will not control slaves. The nissin is very popular in japan, so I would imagine it is a very good flash as well. Like the metz 58 it does have a usb port for firmware upgrades.
Alrighty thanks, I think the sigma can control slaves, not sure though. I think this go round thoughf or me the 48 or 430 might actually be enough... for now.