Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:04 PM   #11
Super Moderator

No worries. There is a lot to learn and don't try to do it all in one day

Reading is all well and good but playing with the camera, changing the settings (taking note of what you do so you can repeat it) and seeing what goes on is really helpful. Just try one thing at a time.

I'm having fun calibrating lenses as I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow and going to experiment a bit with some of the shots to ensuring that the lenses are spot on in regards to AF.... fun LOL.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:48 PM   #12

better than sitting in the office and being bored out of my mind
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:05 AM   #13
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
"Thinking about the Av mode. So lets say i am not in a well lit place and the camera is indicating that in need to use a lower f number. But i know that with the flash i shouldn't have go as low. Is there any way to make the camera use the "pre-flash" to correctly calculate what the f value should be when the shot is taken WITH the flash?...
-> You can also use Flash Exposure Lock (FEL) in any modes on a a neutral area of the subject. This will lock the camera exposure with the initial 'pre-flash', and I believe on a Canon (at least on my) the FEL always do this on a partial metering...

This work very well for me in many case when I need to re-frame the image as you mentioned many Black/White areas tend to fool the camera metering when the flash is enabled - By pressing FEL all exposures are locked and displayed in the viewfinder so the users can view the camera settings before the exposure as well the EV scale (which indicate ambient prior to the flash so you can control this if you're on manual) as the flash will add the extra light to bring this EV scale back to the center automatically

Last edited by NHL; Apr 19, 2010 at 7:12 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:10 AM   #14

i shot my teammates this weekend during an MMA event and it has been quite a challenge to say the least. granted, i dont have the kind of gear that can take exceptional shots, but i had enough troubles getting half-way decent ones anyway. i managed to get right next to the cage, but learning to use the flash has been a challenge. direct or bouncing, i have over and under exposed more shots than i can count. not to mention the amount of blurry shots.
truly gaining more respect for photographers by the second.