Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:32 PM   #1

Default Zeikos Flash Q

I don't know how to move a posting so I copied and started a new, hopefully more appropriately placed, thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber
So the logical question has to be this: "What kind of Slave Flash are you talking about?"

Attached is a photo of the kind of inexpensive slave flash (Zeikos Brand, no model number) that I am discussing.

Sarah Joyce

I have seen you mention this inexpensive flash a lot. I don't believe it's sold in canada but i'll be in orlando next week so i'm going to pick it up (any recommended camera stores?). I have a couple little questions:
1. does it just work? or will my pics be over-exposed if the subject is close?
2. a similar point...do i need to set the aperture to something related to something else?
3. is there a tech review you could just point me at?
thanks for the help. i might buy 2 or 3 if they really work well.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:25 PM   #2

Frank-

The Zeikos Slave Flash is at the very bottom of the Slave Flash food chain. It is the kind of Slave Flash that helps out well when a camera with a small and weak built-in flash unit needs a little light boost. It is not a wonder worker. that requires more brute power, such as that provided by the Canon HF-1 Slave Flash or the Metz 128-CS Slave Flash.

Next, how to you use a Slave Flash. Here is the Initial Approach (1) set Auto ISO (2) arm the camera's built-in flash unit, as that built-in flash unit is the "trigger" that sets off the Slave Flash. (3) Take a test shot staying at less than 20 feet camera to subject distance. (4) If your shot is over exposed or under exposed, see if you can get the correct exposure using the Flash Compensation menu. If that does not work, and it probably should work see the Second Approach.

Second Approach: Set the camera to manual and adjust the aperture and shutter speed as require to achieve the proper exposure.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:49 PM   #3

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The Zeikos Slave Flash is at the very bottom of the Slave Flash food chain.
Thanks for the info. My flash needs are very basic. With the proviso in mind that they are cheap and hence, not so good, I'll give them a try.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:36 AM   #4

frank-

I hope that works out well for you. Let me know if you have problems. I am always here to help you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:45 PM   #5

Sarah is it worth buying an external powerful flash like Yongnuo Y460II for a weak flash point and shoot camera? Or its better to get a smaller flash unit as it would not kill the portability.
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:01 PM   #6

archish-

The YN460 would work, but it is physically larger than really required and the YN460 does not come with an acessory flash bracket which is needed. That is why I have suggested the Zeikos, the Canon HF-1, and the Metz CS128, all of which come ready to use. Size-wise the YN 460 is overkill.

Sarah Joyce