Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Default Which Flash?

As a follow-up to the "Guide # thread", this is what started the research. Expanding from on-camera flash to multi off camera flash for real estate and portrait photography. Probably go radio wireless over Nikon's infared based CLS wireless, but would be nice to have CLS as a backup if/when experiencing problem with radio wireless.

Option 1 - Full manual, no TTL even if used solo on-camera.
LumoPro ($129) or some used Nikon SB26 or SB28 around $100. While would never have TTL capability, must be able to set power levels at the flash. This rules out a lot of the cheaper ones that would only fire full power when triggered.

Option 2 - Full manual on radio wireless, TTL solo on-camera, CLS 'slave mode' using a D90 as master.
This would be (another) SB600 ($225), Metz 54 (also $225) or Nissin 622di ($169). Since the Metz has similar power and features at the same price as the SB600, it rules itseld out. The Nissin would be an interesting alternative as it approaches the price of the LumoPro...or just splurge and get the Nikon.

RULED OUT:
- Full master units, SB900, Metz 58, Nissin 866 and Sigma 530 Super. Don't need the master functionality, and probably not the power - but i would be nice.

- Also ruled out the Sigma 530 ST at $149. Sigma apparently elected not to design it as an SB600 competitor as they left off CLS wireless capability that the 530 Super ($220) has. It would function manually as radio wireless and TTL on camera...but for $20 more, there is the Nissin that does the same and adds CLS.

The Sigma 530 ST does retain the more power flash power equal to the 530 Super. The Nissin, Metz, LumoPro, and SB28 are all about the same power as the SB600. Then again, while the 530 Super competes featurewise with the SB900, it is priced like the SB600 - just reviews have been mixed.

What do you think? Option 1? Option 2 with Nissin? Option 2 with SB600 (or substitute the like priced Sigma 530 Super)?

Last edited by tizeye; Apr 21, 2010 at 11:05 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:06 AM   #2

I just picked up a Vivitar 285HV GN140 ($90), with Flashpoint 16 RF triggers. They work really well together. I'm able to use it on the camera as well since the voltage about 5v on my unit (checked with multimeter). Picked up two older Vivitar 283 on ebay ($20 for the first and $30 for the second unit), will see how they perform with the flashpoint 16 triggers when i get those in the mail. The 283 have GN of 120 which is pretty sufficient for portraits.
shubonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:48 PM   #3

nikon has the best flash system on the market, take advantage of it, go with the sb600. It is a fantastic flash.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 7:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
nikon has the best flash system on the market, take advantage of it, go with the sb600. It is a fantastic flash.
I ended up getting another SB600. Obviousl know have 100% compatability, but was worth the $60 difference over the Nissin for consistency of the menu structure.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:26 PM   #5

Some say it is not, as the nissin is really a good flash. But if flash photo is your thing, you have the best flash system in the industry, it may be a small price more to pay. But it may be worth with the results.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 25, 2010 at 12:39 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote